Video Card Choice

K

kanem

I am soliciting feedback on the selection of a video card for my new computer. I have one of three in mind. 1)Matrox Mystique G200, 2) STB Velocity 128, or 3) ATI All-In-Wonder Pro. Any useful suggestions, with appropriate supporting comments,would be appreciated. TIA.

A

It all depends. To AGP, or not to AGP? Are you into high graphic gaming, photo/video editing, or just want some really cool coloring?

K

kanem

I would like to get into some gaming, if I ever get the time, but mostly I would use it for surfing the 'net,etc. I would like the most up-to-date card I can get/afford.
I don't think I would use the TV tuner or the TV output on any of the high end cards, therefore I am thinking of eliminating the All-In-Wonder Pro from my list.
I guess the more I think about it what I want is a high quality video card that will support the occassional game.

A

The Matrox would probably do fine for you. Or even one of the knock-off VoodooII cards. (Which ever is cheaper.)

J

JSS3rd

If you're considering the Matrox card, go for the Millenium, rather than the Mystique. They cost the same, interestingly enough, but the Millenium uses Matrox's SGRAM, rather than the Mystique's SDRAM, and the RAMDAC speed is 250, instead of the Mystique's 230.

The Millenium also has upgrade options that the Mystique doesn't, as well. Check the Matrox web site at http://www.matrox.com/ for particulars.

Either one is a fine card, though, with gorgeous colors and great speed.

E

Esquire

I say TNT, Canopus Spectera 2500. It rocks... Check out www.sharkyextreme.com
Esq.

C

COMPUWIZ1

HEY EVERYBODY, TECHNOLOGY CHANGES FAST IN THIS WORLD AND HAD I BEEN ASLEEP AT THE WHEEL,I MAY HAVE MISSED THE AWSOME NEW OFFERING FROM S3. I KNOW..I KNOW! I THOUGHT
IT TOO. VIRGE, RIGHT? GOOD THING I HAVE AN
OPEN MIND. SERIOUSLY, YOU GUYS GOTTA HEAR
WHAT THE REVIEWS ARE SAYING ABOUT THIS NEW
S3 SAVAGE CHIPSET. IN THE BENCH MARK TESTS
IT LOOKS LIKE THE 3DFX VOODOO2 HAVE FINALY
GOTTEN IT'S BUTT KICKED! THIS CHIP IS BEING
OFFERED IN THE NEW HERCULES TERMINATOR BEAST
AND 4X AGP THANKS TO ITS COMPRESSION FACTOR
IT PREFORMS LIKE A CARD THATS GOT 24MB VRAM!!! MICROSOFT SHACKED UP WITH THEM AND
TOGETHER THEY BROUGHT US DIRECT X 6. FROM ALL
ACCOUNTS I'VE SEEN SO FAR THE PRICE IS RIGHT
TOO! <$150 U.S. COOL HUH? CHECK IT OUT.
I LIKE THE ATI ALL IN WONDER PRO AS WELL BUT
I THINK IT'S HAD IT'S HAY DAY, AND AS I MENTIONED EARLIER,LOOKS LIKE VOODOO2 HAS IT'S
RIVAL AS WELL. HAPPY 3-D ING!

S

smokingbear

Considering TNT with 16MB sells for US$127 (including the $8 shipment, though OEM. check with pricewatch.com), I was wondering if S3 savage will survive as well as Voodoo II. Hehe.

S

smokingbear

Considering TNT with 16MB sells for US$127 (including the $8 shipment, though OEM. check with pricewatch.com), I was wondering if S3 savage will survive as well as Voodoo II. Hehe.

C

Chanse

TNTTNTTNTTNTTNTTNTTNTTNTTNTTNTTNTTNTTNTTNTTNT