Very STRANGE internet / networking issues

whutsupdoc

whutsupdoc

Master of my Domain
ok... this is driving me crazy!!!

I have a new Acer Laptop running WinVista sp2 on an Amd athlon x2 with 3gig ram.

I keep losing internet connection via BOTH wireless and wired!!!!! The loss of connection is random... can be as short as 10mins or as long as 5hrs

here's the strange thing.... I can PING google, yahoo, espn, etc.... but I can NOT ping www.microsoft.com???!!!!

When I go to PING microsoft.. it times out.... "Pinging lb1.www.ms.akadns.net" ... it varies the ip address.. sometimes 60.55.21.250 other times 207.55.21.250

I can ALSO utilize my Remote Desktop Connection without issue..... i just can NOT utilize my browsers, neither IE8 nor Firefox!!!!!!!

why aren't my browsers working , but i'm able to PING and RDC while the "internet" seems to go down??? I have Zone alarm as my firewall, but even if i turn it off it still won't connect

I have to reboot the darn laptop to get my IE8 or FF3 to work!!!

:confused::confused::mad::mad::mad::mad::eek::eek::eek:

Last edited:
Bink

Bink

Will moderate for food
Sounds like it could possibly be a DNS resolution issue. Basically, whatever DNS server your modem/router or computer is set to, isn't doing its job properly, so host names aren't getting correctly converted to IP addresses.

In any case, it's worth setting your DNS servers to another reliable DNS service. I suggest trying OpenDNS, a free DNS service (with extras). I've been using it for years because it's more reliable than my ISP's DNS servers and has extra options like web filtering.

Hopefully that will help.

whutsupdoc

whutsupdoc

Master of my Domain
thanks for the thought..... but this issue ONLY happens on this laptop, my other laptop and wired desktops do NOT have this issue at all.

Bink

Bink

Will moderate for food
Try uninstalling ZoneAlarm completely from the laptop. It's this issue that caused me to stop using it as my firewall years ago. I'd hope it didn't still have these problems so many years on, but whilst it's on there, I'd be suspecting it.

Turning it off wasn't enough when I had issues with ZoneAlarm. It had to be completely uninstalled.

whutsupdoc

whutsupdoc

Master of my Domain
well... that apparently didn't work!!!! well worked briefly, but now getting the sporatic lock outs as before~!!! this is really starting to piss me off..... i wonder if it's a stupid Vista issue.... i'm suppose to get my win7 upgrade shortly... i'll install that and see if it works.

Bink

Bink

Will moderate for food
With the amount of time you've probably needed to spend on it, you may be better of reformatting anyway ;)

All the same, it'd be nice to know the cause.

Associates