Util that tells HD RPM speed?

B

barrese

Is there any utility that will tell you the RPM speed of a hard drive. I have an old Compaq Presario and was just curious what RPM the HD is (it's so slow). It's a 5.25 and I'm thinking a 4000 RPM. It would be kind of fun to know for sure.

54regcab

Sisoftware I belive will do this.
I do know it will give a MB/sec reading for the drive.

------------------
Sony "VAIO" with 800 Mhz AMD 128MB Ram (upgraded from 233MHZ pentium II)
MSI K7T Pro 2-A mobo, running CPU fan @ 5v (still under 50c)
17" Trinitron, ATI video capture card
HP 8100 CDRW, Zip100, Maxtor 20GB ATA100 HD
Creative Live!Sound card, HP 932c printer
Win ME.

B

barrese

I don't think Sisoft will give the actual RPM, at least I couldn't find it. Looking up the SN on a web site might be the way, I just really don't feel like taking out the HD to find the SN on it. It's not easily accesible in the case like it would be with a self-built computer.

B

Bartleby

I have an old Compaq Presario and was just curious what RPM the HD is (it's so slow). It's a 5.25 and I'm thinking a 4000 RPM
If it is a Quantum Bigfoot drive, then it is 4000rpm. These drives are notoriously slow.... I guess Compaq had a deal because they show up in many of their older presario pc's.

------------------
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it
holds the universe together...."
* Carl Zwanzig

B

barrese

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's a Quantum Bigfoot. I remember seeing that as the manufacturer somewhere. Thanks for the info. Too bad there isn't a utility that can tell you that because I have a couple of other old computers I'd be curious as to what kind of HDs they have. Anyone by chance know what kind of HD would have come with a Packard Bell Cyrix 266?

Mole

Mole

Seeing Mole
There has only been one 5.25" HDD manufactured for the last 10 years or so and it's Quantum Bigfoot.

At the time, they were very cheap, but also very slow. It was ideal for people needing low cost storage where speed is not an issue.

As Bartleby noted, they do run at 4000 RMP and Compaq did have a deal with Quantum and most of their low end models were fitted with a Bigfoot.

Follow this link for complete spec of the Bigfoot:
http://www.maxtor.com/Quantum/products/archive/bigfoot_tx/bigfoot_tx_specs.htm

Associates