USB help with new motherboard

T

Tarrant

The setup:
A few days ago I upgraded from a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P motherboard to an ASUS P8Z69-V Pro/Gen3.

The problem:
With the Gigabyte board, my Razer wireless mouse would continuously charge on the docking station when the pc was powered off. With the new ASUS board, it won't. It will only charge with the pc on. There are only two USB settings in the bios. One is "USB Legacy Support" and the other is "USB 3.0 Legacy Support". Both are set to enabled just like the Gigabyte board was.

Is there something I'm missing here or is it that some motherboards provide power to the USB ports when off and others don't? Any help would be great because this is getting annoying :). Thx!

jimbo1763

jimbo1763

Just a shot in the dark, but you might want to go into Device Manager and right click the applicable USB hub, then go to Properties/ Power Management and uncheck the box allowing the computer to turn the device off to save power.

T

Tarrant

I actually already tried that to no avail. I didn't think it'd work since any settings in the OS wouldn't apply when the computer is off. Thx for the advice though.

Any other thoughts or ideas? Thx in advance!

equinoxe3d

equinoxe3d

On older Asus motherboards there was a jumper to send +5VSB instead of 5V to a given set USB ports to allow charging while the PC is off, but from reading your motherboard's manual, seems there's no jumpers for this anymore.

Somebody had a similar question on Tom's and there might be something to do by changing some power management settings in the BIOS :

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/290210-30-power-shutdown

There's also a charging software included in the AI Suite called AI Charger, but it seems more tailored for quick charging cell phones and Apple products. Also, there's options to allow charging on the USB3 ports in the BIOS ("Asmedia USB 3.0 Battery Charging Support" under Advanced > Onboard Devices), it seems to be for mobile devices as well but it might be worth a try.

If nothing else works, the simplest way I see would be to get a powered USB hub that keeps its power when the PC is off.

Associates