Trouble with Windows 10 new update

jimbo1763

jimbo1763

I am getting a "we couldn't update the system reserved partition" error message. Google search indicates it may be a problem with the size of that partition. The recommended fix is to download a partition manager and do that, but that is not so easy to do.

Has anyone else encountered this?

I wonder if I would have the same problem if I tried to download the new version and update that way, rather than trying to do it through Windows Update.

Huge

Huge

Why am I still doing up?
I literally just finished updating and had no issues (knock on wood). I would try the .iso; maybe windows update didn't download all the correct files? :confused:

DanceMan

DanceMan

Procrastinating Member
This wouldn't be an update that downloads Win 10 (whether you approved or not) not having sufficient space for the download would it?

jimbo1763

jimbo1763

This wouldn't be an update that downloads Win 10 (whether you approved or not) not having sufficient space for the download would it?
No. I got it sorted, though. My system reserved partition was 100Mb and about full, apparently, so the new update stalled on that. I downloaded a partition manager based on a blog I read and resized that partition to 350Mb, and the update went right in.

I don't understand why that happened, though, because my Windows 10 was a clean install, and I would have thought that it would have sized the partition correctly/adequately, or at least that the new update would have the capability to do it on its own.

But all is well.

glussier

glussier

You probably had the 100mB partition already there, that is why windows used that. Normally, if the drive is not formatted and you let the windows 10 installer auto create the windows reserved and C: drive, it does allocate 500mB to the reserved partition.

jimbo1763

jimbo1763

You probably had the 100mB partition already there, that is why windows used that. Normally, if the drive is not formatted and you let the windows 10 installer auto create the windows reserved and C: drive, it does allocate 500mB to the reserved partition.
Based on that you are saying, I may go back in and expand it to 500 Mb to be more future-proof. Thanks.

Associates