Toshiba Satellite A135-S2386

A

az_max

Hi, is it just the power button itself that is giving you the issue, or is the laptop suddenly losing power?
Laptop doesn't lose power when it's on, it's just a bear to turn on. It's fine if I reboot it, or shutdown then restart right after that. Reseated memory, wireless card, HD. I don't have the battery in it, just the a/c adapter. Took me 20 minutes today to start it back up after it went to sleep last night. I thought it might be a faulty lid switch, but can't find where the switch is. I think it's going to go back by the end of the week if I can't get it working reliably.

A

au10tic

Hey all, I have followed every steps to install the drivers on my A135-S2386 laptop, i am able to install the video drivers by modifying the .inf file as explained here and other forums, the only thing that i am having problems with is with the USB ports, I have dual boot xp/vista ultimate and when booting to XP, everytime i plug any device to any of the ports, the computer freezes up. When booting to VISTA, when i plug a usb device all i get is a message saying "Unrecognize USB device" the computer does not freeze while in vista but i cannot get the usb device to work, I've read different forums and have followed the steps but nothing seems to have helped. Does anybody have any suggestions to my problem? Any help would be appreciated.

J

jlux

Ok, I know you guys have had problems downgrading to xp, but has anyone tried to install windows 7 on one of these machines?
I have an opportunity to pick one of these up tomorrow for real cheap & would like to reformat with W7. Any ideas, thoughts??
Thanx in advance for any input. _j_

N

nabilalk

Ok, I know you guys have had problems downgrading to xp, but has anyone tried to install windows 7 on one of these machines?
I have an opportunity to pick one of these up tomorrow for real cheap & would like to reformat with W7. Any ideas, thoughts??
Thanx in advance for any input. _j_
You know, I was wondering the same thing. Windows 7 is supposed to be Mac & Ubuntu -like in that it has the drivers built into the OS. Windows 7 is also supposed to have less bloat and run better on Vista desktops and notebooks. I'm also wondering if older machines (5+ years) can be upgraded to W7 from XP, and see performance improvements.

When W7 is released, I'm going to install it on my Dell Dimension 4600 (5+ years old). I will post back with my thoughts once I have had time to test. Good luck ppl.

Rui-kun

Rui-kun

Tried installing W7 on the A135-S2386, it can run the 32-bit version but not the 64. Everything seemed well except for the good 'ol video driver problem. It was stuck on 1024x768.

The old 7.7 Catalyst installer wouldn't run on W7 so I couldn't do the old "modify-the-.inf-file" workaround. I'm not sure if using an updated Catalyst would do the trick.

Reverted back to XP for now.

T

theitguy

thank you sooo much

Ok, I think I found the ATI driver; it is a manual install.
1. Run the Catalyst 7.7 driver zip file and install
2. Install will fail
3. Select Display adapter from Device Manager and select Reinstall Driver
4. Select on second screen "Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)
Click next
5. Select on third screen "Don't search. I will choose the driver to install"
Click next
6.Click "Have Disk"
7. Navigate to a directory on the C drive
C:\ATI\Support\7-7-igp_xp32_dd_ccc_wdm_sb_gart_enu_49709\Driver\Driver\XP_INF\CX_49709

Be sure to the file type "Setup Information"
8.There is a very long list of choices pick the one that says
"ATI Xpress Series." There are two of them. I picked the second one, but I do not think it matters. Click "OK" and "Next". You will get a warning message about compatibility; just "OK" past it.
9. Reboot and verify the driver installed is:

ATI Technologies Inc.
Driver Date: 6/26/2007
Driver Version; 8.391.0.0

So far the driver is working ok.

Also, with this driver the Monitor device drivers automatically loaded.

Hope this works for the rest of you!
I could kiss you on the mouth. LOL.
I've been battling this for the last 4 hours. thank you so much for the step by step

Associates