Toshiba Satellite A135-S2386

A

A135

A135-S2386: XP operation system.
so far I got video and audio driver from this forum. Thank a lot.
I still need:
1) Wireless-Lan driver
2) modem driver
3) 2 unknown devise: USB 2 driver.
Can someone help? Please. :(

Last edited:
E

Ez0n3

I just finished loading Windows XP on my Toshiba Satellite a135-s2386 Notebook. I have compiled a zip file containing all the newest drivers available that I could find. It has all the drivers you'll need to put XP on the laptop.

http://files.filefront.com/toshiba+a135+s2386+winxp+szip/;9752527;/fileinfo.html

You should have a few things installed before you start loading on drivers. Such as:

Not Included:
Windows XP ServicePack v. 2
Optional: WPA2 Hotfix (enables WPA2 encryption, requires SP2)
DirectX v. 9c

Included:
Microsoft .NET Framework v. 2
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable

See the included README file. Nothing special needs to be done to the drivers, they're ready to go (most are easy setup.exe's). These are the newest drivers I could find as of 02-02-2008.

ATI Catalys Mobility v. 8.2
REALTEK GbE & FE Ethernet PCI NIC Driver v. 5.604.718.2003
Atheros Wireless LAN Driver v. 5.1.1.9
Realtek High Definition Audio Driver v. 1.87
Synaptics Pointing Device Driver v. 10.1.8.0

My laptops running like a champ, no missing devices, no laggy Vista.

Here's the readme contents:

Recommended Installation Order (some are required before the next):

Microsoft Windows XP ServicePack v. 2 (no need if you already have it)
install WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU

Microsoft WPA2 Hotfix (enables WPA2 encryption)
install optional: WindowsXP-KB893357-v2-x86-ENU

Microsoft DirectX v. 9c
install directx_nov2007_redist
extract -> run DXSETUP.exe

Microsoft .NET Framework v. 2
install /updates/dotnetfx

Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable
install /video-chipset/vc8/setup.exe

ATI South Bridge Driver - Catalys Mobility v. 8.2
install /video-chipset/SBDrv/setup.exe

ATI Display Driver - Catalys Mobility v. 8.2
device manager -> reinstall Video Controller driver
install from specific location -> include this location -> /video-chipset/Driver/XP_INF/

ATI WDM Drivers - Catalys Mobility v. 8.2
install /video-chipset/WDM_ALL/setup.exe

ATI Catalyst Control Center - Catalys Mobility v. 8.2
install /video-chipset/CCC/setup.exe

REALTEK GbE & FE Ethernet PCI NIC Driver v. 5.604.718.2003
install /lan/setup.exe

Atheros Wireless LAN Driver v. 5.1.1.9
install /wireless/setup.exe

Realtek High Definition Audio Driver v. 1.87
install /audio/setup.exe (cancel "found new hardware" or follow "Toshiba Software Modem")

Toshiba Software Modem - original
device manager -> reinstall Modem Device on High Definition Audio Bus
don't search -> modems -> Have Disk -> /modem/AGRMDwxp.inf

Direct Application Launch Buttons - original
device manager -> reinstall unknown devices
install from specific location -> include this location -> /launch-button/

ATI I/O Communications Processor PCI Bus Controller Driver - Catalys Mobility v. 8.2
device manager -> System Devices -> reinstall PCI standard PCI to PCI bridge (1st one)
Driver -> Update Driver -> install from specific location -> Don't Search -> ATI I/O Communications Processor PCI Bus Controller

Synaptics Pointing Device Driver v. 10.1.8.0
install optional: /touchpad/setup.exe

All Done!
Later

E

Eggsby

usb driver problems

Hey! I've read through this thread, and had everything working via datars drivers and a few other ones a few months ago.

Randomly, my bios went all out of whack and starting asking for a startup password, even though I hadn't set one. I flashed the password, and then the USB randomly stopped working.

I tried saving the drivers via Driver Genius and reinstalling them, but now it's not even recognizing them as missing drivers, so I assume it's just not recognizing the ports. The weirdest part is that there are no unknown devices showing up at all. Anyone know of anything I could do? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks.

S

shopnopoka

Video driver installed, but..

thanx to all !!
it's a great THREAD for me :)

anyways, i could install the video driver from swlatham's post !
but, i can't change the resolution to 1280X800..
if i do so, my monitor doesnt show all of screen.. sides of the screen is cropped.. suppose my windows taskbar gets invisible (cropped).. and if i move the mouse then it's visible, but then top of the screen is cropped !!!

any suggestion !?!?!?

S

shopnopoka

problem with freezing..

after installing omega driver it was working nice..
but, after i started to install other drivers.. problem started !
it's FREEZING..
from posts here, i tried uninstalling pointing device & also modem.. but, it doesnt work.
can anyone help ???

itamarvidal

itamarvidal

F5/F6 and sleep unrecovery

Hello,

My XP PRO SP2 works fine on A135-S2386 however F5/F6 doesn't works. I quit this problem and'I'm using a program to this. It's perfect. If anyone want's it I can find some place to download.
I have yet the problem with sleep function. My computer doesn't returns and I need to force shutdown or restart. If someone has the solution I wll be vary glad.

Itamar

J

jakester

Hey gents-

This info is great. I've read almost every word of all threads pertaining to fixing this outstanding display of technological genius also known as the Toshiba laptop. I haven't read anything that really talks about what to do if your USB drives don't work. Mine will not recognize anything, and any USB mass storage device locks up the machine so I have to restart it. The mouse pad is shot I think, so I have no mouse right now. I read an earlier thread about troubleshooting the mousepad. Tried each step and it still doesn't work. I can get around, but somethings are pretty difficult to manage. Any suggestions?

L

livinglegend

datars said:
The link still works, and it has been downloaded 2,007 times
Dear Datar, I cannot download your drivers... please give the download link

also My SM bus controllers are not installed its showing a yellow exclamation mark in front

I have a problem with USB drives, I have upgraded to BIOS 1.04 after the BIOS password problem which locked my Laptop. i operated it around 5 months without any trouble. now suddenly MY USB devices are not getting detected. USB root hub and host controllers are showing correctly in the device manager, tried enabling/ disabling and uninstalling and reset to detect them automatically etc. instance it detects and install the root hub and host controllers, but it won't detect the devices i'm trying to plug in.

When i plug a USB mice it gives the error "USB device not recognized"

when i plug a storage device i.e. : - Flash drive, ipod - laptop get stuck and i won't be able to d anything other than switch off from the power button, i know its extremely harmful and never attempt to do that more than twice.

Could you guys please help me :)

By the way I'm from Sri Lanka and i asked one of my friend to buy me a laptop on his visit to USA, he bought this from a BestBuy offer !!!

Really great full for you guys for posting drivers and currently i have only three exclamation marks on Device manager

i think two are for hot key utilities and the remaining one is for SM Bus controller, i'm hardly searching for it

Last edited:
J

jaredj

Problem Solved

Hello everyone...

I have a A135 running on XP with no problems after installing your drivers... Well and I got ahold of the WIN XP Service Pack 3 beta for betatesters, I suggest you find it if you want your freezing to end :)

I have had no freezing, my monitor lid now powers on and off, everything on this laptop is functionable right now. including my function keys!!!

Thanks hope this will help.

N

Nvidia

hello i am a new user , bought the a135-s2386, having same problems as u , however i fixed it all, okay first the video problem , dont use dartars omega driver
download catalyst 7.7
the installation will fail
navigate to C:\ATI\SUPPORT\7-7-igp_xp32_dd_ccc_wdm_sb_gart_enu_49709\Driver\Driver\XP_INF\CX_49709.inf
Open the CX_49709.inf file;
Next click the Edit Menu then Find and enter XPRESS 200
This should find the line below:

"ATI MOBILITY RADEON XPRESS 200" = ati2mtag_RS480M, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5955

Enter a blank line after the line above and paste in the line below:

"ATI RADEON XPRESS 200M Series " = ati2mtag_RS480M, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5A62&SUBSYS_FF041179

5. Save the file.
6. Select Display adapter from Device Manager and select Reinstall Driver
7. Select on second screen "Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)
Click next
8. Select on third screen "Search for the best driver in these locations"
Uncheck the “Search removal media”
Check the “Include this location in the search”
Click the “Browse” button and navigate to a directory on the C drive
C:\ATI\Support\7-7-igp_xp32_dd_ccc_wdm_sb_gart_enu_49709\Driver\XP_INF

9. Click next and driver will install the ATI RADEON XPRESS 200M.
10. Reboot and verify the driver installed is:

ATI Technologies Inc.
Driver Date: 6/26/2007
Driver Version; 8.391.0.0

okay now the mouse freeze problem :
it is sound related and not video ,it is caused by installing the vista sound drive from toshiba installation cd , u should download the xp compatible driver
ftp://66.104.77.130/pc/audio/WDM_R191.zip
okay the video procedure will offcourse fix ur standby problem ;however i have one of my processors speed on half (help plzzzz)

Last edited:
R

rkrash34

How about we get this thread started again?! Hate to ruin all the fun for all of you who think you got rid of all ur unknown devices, but in device manager if you click view on the tool bar and then view hidden devices there is a third unknown device. Anyone know how to get rid of this? is this acpi related? this may or may not be related but I also am having a problem installing the "toshiba hotkey utility", when I run the install for that it says it cannot find "common modules". When I attempt to install the toshiba common modules it says my system is not supported and quits the install. Any help with this? I'm on a a135-s2386. Also w the mouse freezing, not sure if I just got lucky but I used the latest omega drivers, when I installed the first time I selected pcie durring install and had the freezing problem, after a second attemp at getting xp on this machine when installing omega drivers a second time I selected agp, which it says will work for either one, not even sure what bus type it actually is, in any case now I have no mouse freezing...

S

shidoran

rkrash34 said:
How about we get this thread started again?! Hate to ruin all the fun for all of you who think you got rid of all ur unknown devices, but in device manager if you click view on the tool bar and then view hidden devices there is a third unknown device. Anyone know how to get rid of this? is this acpi related? this may or may not be related but I also am having a problem installing the "toshiba hotkey utility", when I run the install for that it says it cannot find "common modules". When I attempt to install the toshiba common modules it says my system is not supported and quits the install. Any help with this? I'm on a a135-s2386. Also w the mouse freezing, not sure if I just got lucky but I used the latest omega drivers, when I installed the first time I selected pcie durring install and had the freezing problem, after a second attemp at getting xp on this machine when installing omega drivers a second time I selected agp, which it says will work for either one, not even sure what bus type it actually is, in any case now I have no mouse freezing...
I've been sifting thrugh boards for ages trying to find XP drivers that work for my laptop s2386 and I have all but 3 working. Never use omega drivers they're horribly unstable. Email me [deleted by moderator. No personal info, please] and I can provide you with everything I've used so far. Perhaps we can work together to scower the net to get rid of those last 3 unknown devices.

J

java_us

Hang a bit when used and playing music

Hi.... I downgraded my vista to XP Pro (A135-S2386).I was only able to solve VGA controller problem. There are other four problems left and the WORST thing happening is that it's hang when I used it (for example the mouse pointer hangs for like 1/2 a second. It's happening as I was writing this...texts would not showup immediately..and hangs a bit..and when I played youtube it will hangs...and even when I play music from hard drive it does that. Please tell me how to solve this problem because this is really annoying... and also the remaining three problems... as for the High Definition I had installed the RealTek and after installation, it doesn't confirm anything whether it is succefully installed or not.. Can I assume that it works? it can play music with a bit hanging.... please help me...thank you...

1. Modem Device on High Definition Bus
2. SM Bus Controller
3. Unknown
4. Unknwon

X

xmarklar

SM Bus for Toshiba A135 S2386

To fix the SM Bus problem, all you need to do is download the ATI drivers (i forget where i got 'em, google '8-8-igp_xp32_dd_ccc_wdm_sb_gart_enu_67975') ... unpack the zip file, or run the .exe (i forget) ..

then go to Device Manager, update driver on SM Bus and then point to the .inf file in "C:\ATI\SUPPORT\8-8-igp_xp32_dd_ccc_wdm_sb_gart_enu_67975\SBDrv\SMBUS"

(i found the 8.7 version here: http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/xp/integrated-xp.html

(or, I found a post that said u can simply download the SM Bus driver from here: http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-61453.html)
--

on another note, i still need to figure out the following:

1. drivers for "Modem Device on High Definition Audio Bus"

2. drivers for 2 "unknown devices" (i read that these are ACPI devices, for controlling when u shut the lid, etc.. but how to get rid of them.. supposedly "DATAR" had a zip file of drivers that helped)

3. Fn keys for brightness (i've installed a few different Toshiba Common Module versions but they don't seem to activate the brightness keys, even though thotkey.exe is now running)

4. Can the Toshiba BIOS Upgrade to fix the random password reset be used on a downgraded XP machine (A135 S2386)? Or is it even still a problem on XP? (Toshiba said some of the versions of the bios upgrade should only be applied to Vista, soooo....)

N

nabilalk

Datars driver cd

Rui-kun said:
Wow, this thread keeps getting bigger everyday! Still monitoring my A135-S2386 for any signs of problems. I'll also note any improvements after a 1GB RAM upgrade.

For now, I'm still stuck with the standby and mouse pointer problems. Though, it seems to be working at 90% of its capabilities as of now.

Still keeping my fingers crossed if we can get somebody to write us an appropriate driver for the ATi Radeon Xpress 200M to solve all those pesky video problems.

And for the benefit of the new members, download Datar's compiled drivers, unzip the files and burn them into a CD:
http://www.mediafire.com/?5jzw0gmnz4i

They'll fix most of your driver problems. The rest of the drivers/software can also be found in your Toshiba Recovery Disc. Also, if you wouldn't want to use the Omega Driver for your video driver (since it's known to have some "issues" like the ones I'm experiencing) I suggest you try ATi's official driver for the specific chipset which can be found at
http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/xp/integrated-xp.html

Try installing the official driver before installing/trying the Omega Drivers. Please inform me if it works perfectly or not since I'm also considering installing it, which would be after another tiresome reformat.
Do you by any chance still have a copy of Datar's drivers? If so, can you please post a link?

A

az_max

Hi,
I purchased a a135 refurb to use as my home theatre PC. Got XP MCE loaded, all the drivers loaded (thanks for the drivers!). My only problem seems to be the power button. The four hours I used the system with Vista I had no issues turning it on and off. After installing XP and getting everything set up, I found that the power button was not reliable in turning the system on, or getting it back from sleep mode. Sometimes reseating memory and pulling power gets it to work, other times it's 50 presses of the power button. I see the LEDs flash on the USB keyboard on occasion, but no power light and no boot. I doubt this is related to XP, but has anyone seen this issue?

N

nabilalk

power issue

Hi, is it just the power button itself that is giving you the issue, or is the laptop suddenly losing power?

Associates