Toshiba Satellite A135-S2386

B

bs953

gatorback said:
bs593,

Initially I thought it did not work, however, after exercising due diligence, I was able to manually load the file. It was not obvious, however, I am confirming that the drivers in the folder XP_INF will work.

http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/xp/integrated-xp.html

I encountered all sorts of errors while installing: The ATI driver error reads: 'Setup did not find a driver compatible with your current hardware or OS.' Setup will now exit. I tried to install the driver through the device manager and had this error 'The hardware was not installed because the wizrd cannot find the necessary software'. However, they are of no consequence.

Let me know if you are in St. Augustine and I will buy you that beer. I may move to Miami next in August, so let me know if you are in FL. Thank you!
Oh yeah I forgot about that crap oop's. It is rather persnickity when it comes to the damn drivers LOL. I couldn't remember having had to reformat this thing so many times. LOL Glad it worked. We gotta keep at it!
Oh yeah BCCOMP ya you gotta do the manual install thingy and basically force it to work.

gatorback

gatorback

BCCOMP said:
On Datar's CD Use the following Drivers
Video- Ati Radeon 200m (Omega Version 3.8.330)
Audio- Realtek HD Audio
Modem- Toshiba Software Modem
SM Bus Controller- ATI IO Communication Bus Controller
Wireless- Atheros AR5006 Wireless Network Adapter OEM1
Sound- Realtek High Definition Audio
Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio
Mouse- I went to the Synaptics web site to download the touchpad

After these are downloaded you should have only 2 Unknown devices
These are Direct Application Launch Buttons (you will have to install these for each of the unknown devices). You should then see all the yellow marks gone in device manager. If you go to hidden view you will see one unknown device, ACPI. This is the one I mentioned earlier in the thread. I am still working on this one, but it seems it is Vista related. I know others have tried to download the original ATI Catalyst for video, but were unable to install.
You may want to try downloading and installing the Southbridge and then the ATI Video driver only to see if that works. This may get the Fn keys to work, but I have not tried this. Be sure to do a Full Microsoft Update to resolve the processor at only running half speed. I had this problem until I did a full update (do not know why). I had only a 2 day window to get this computer running for a client.
Good Luck
PS Thanks again Datar
BCCOMP,
Please contact me if you have determined the unknown hidden device so I can publish it in the S2386 thread. Thank you.

gatorback

gatorback

A135-S2386 S-video output and VGA out

Has anyone had success with the VGA out or the S-video out under XP?

I have to do a presentation Friday and was hoping to get it working before then. Otherwise I'll use my IBM laptop. I seem to remember it working under Vista (I tested all device ports to ensure that the hardware is good).

Thank you.

D

doannguyen97

A135-s2386

For those of you that have this model...you should read the posts from the the 1st page as I flip thru and see the same freakin questions.

I would like to say I have this model in full working condition with XP2 Pro. Only thing that does not work is the Fn Brightness and sleep function (who uses this anyways...eats up battery).

For those of you guys/girls that have freezing issues...u need to get ur video driver patched to make it work without freezing up every 10 sec or min for 5 sec. YES it did and does work.... --> http://www.driverheaven.net/modtool/
follow it and it should work...if not try it once more.

Everything else should be in Datars file bundle. Maybe the wireless will be different and hotkeys (Fn keys)

S

swlatham

Toshiba Win XP ATI Driver

Ok, I think I found the ATI driver; it is a manual install.
1. Run the Catalyst 7.7 driver zip file and install
2. Install will fail
3. Select Display adapter from Device Manager and select Reinstall Driver
4. Select on second screen "Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)
Click next
5. Select on third screen "Don't search. I will choose the driver to install"
Click next
6.Click "Have Disk"
7. Navigate to a directory on the C drive
C:\ATI\Support\7-7-igp_xp32_dd_ccc_wdm_sb_gart_enu_49709\Driver\Driver\XP_INF\CX_49709

Be sure to the file type "Setup Information"
8.There is a very long list of choices pick the one that says
"ATI Xpress Series." There are two of them. I picked the second one, but I do not think it matters. Click "OK" and "Next". You will get a warning message about compatibility; just "OK" past it.
9. Reboot and verify the driver installed is:

ATI Technologies Inc.
Driver Date: 6/26/2007
Driver Version; 8.391.0.0

So far the driver is working ok.

Also, with this driver the Monitor device drivers automatically loaded.

Hope this works for the rest of you!

S

swlatham

My initial install of Win XP Pro on a A135-S2386 loaded the mouse pad as a PS/2 mouse device. It is working fine! Might try reinstalling the driver manually and selecting PS/2 mouse driver.

S

swlatham

Toshiba Win XP Driver A135-S2386 Synaptics Mouse

Update. Use the Toshiba Vista recovery disk and install the Synaptics TouchPad Driver 9.1.0.0 Logo. This will install a driver compatable with Win XP.

Enjoy!

S

swlatham

Toshiba 135A-S2386 Win XP ATI RADEON XPRESS 200M Video Driver

I found the Mobility ATI Express driver; here is how to make it an auto install.
2. Install will fail
3. Navigate to a directory on the C drive
C:\ATI\Support\7-7igp_xp32_dd_ccc_wdm_sb_gart_enu_49709\Driver\XP_INF
4. Open the CX_49709.inf file;
Next click the Edit Menu then Find and enter XPRESS 200
This should find the line below:

"ATI MOBILITY RADEON XPRESS 200" = ati2mtag_RS480M, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5955

Enter a blank line after the line above and paste in the line below:

"ATI RADEON XPRESS 200M Series " = ati2mtag_RS480M, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5A62&SUBSYS_FF041179

5. Save the file.
6. Select Display adapter from Device Manager and select Reinstall Driver
7. Select on second screen "Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)
Click next
8. Select on third screen "Search for the best driver in these locations"
Uncheck the “Search removal media”
Check the “Include this location in the search”
Click the “Browse” button and navigate to a directory on the C drive
C:\ATI\Support\7-7-igp_xp32_dd_ccc_wdm_sb_gart_enu_49709\Driver\XP_INF

9. Click next and driver will install the ATI RADEON XPRESS 200M.
10. Reboot and verify the driver installed is:

ATI Technologies Inc.

Now if we can get the function keys working.

S

scampcat

doannguyen97 said:
For those of you that have this model...you should read the posts from the the 1st page as I flip thru and see the same freakin questions.

I would like to say I have this model in full working condition with XP2 Pro. Only thing that does not work is the Fn Brightness and sleep function (who uses this anyways...eats up battery).

For those of you guys/girls that have freezing issues...u need to get ur video driver patched to make it work without freezing up every 10 sec or min for 5 sec. YES it did and does work.... --> http://www.driverheaven.net/modtool/
follow it and it should work...if not try it once more.

Everything else should be in Datars file bundle. Maybe the wireless will be different and hotkeys (Fn keys)
Absolutely awesome! The install was flawless following this process.

Also, INFO ON LOCKING SCREEN ISSUE - I noticed that if I used RDP to the laptop (A135-2386), I had absolutely no problems with the system. No locking over remote connection. It still locks up a little when I'm on the machine though. I'm using WinXP Media Center Edition with SP2. I'll try taking the Synaptic driver off for the touchpad and see if that fixes the glitches. I'll post results.

If that doesn't work, I'll create a Virtual Machine (VMware Workstation) from the recovery disk/partition running Vista and see what I can port over between machines - I have a corporate account that gives me those tools. If anyone wants a copy of the Vista VM, let me know. I'll make sure to rip out my key before passing it on (requiring you to put in your key and preventing any piracy issues).

It's nice to see so many actively working on this problem!

S

scampcat

Bingo! It was just the Synaptic touchpad driver (downloaded from their site). I uninstalled it, restarted, and ran the computer without ANY problems at all. Running Media Center was a guaranteed teller to know if it was still messed up, and MCE ran extremely smoothly, even with Mac running on a Virtual Machine at the same time! (of course, I'm running with ~1.4GB RAM). The system is now running very smoothly. I'll research the Function keys and see what's up there. You guys are awesome!

S

swlatham

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I found the Mobility ATI Express driver; here is how to make it an auto install.
2. Install will fail
3. Navigate to a directory on the C drive
C:\ATI\Support\7-7igp_xp32_dd_ccc_wdm_sb_gart_enu_49709\Driver\XP_INF
4. Open the CX_49709.inf file;
Next click the Edit Menu then Find and enter XPRESS 200
This should find the line below:

"ATI MOBILITY RADEON XPRESS 200" = ati2mtag_RS480M, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5955

Enter a blank line after the line above and paste in the line below:

"ATI RADEON XPRESS 200M Series " = ati2mtag_RS480M, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5A62&SUBSYS_FF041179

5. Save the file.
6. Select Display adapter from Device Manager and select Reinstall Driver
7. Select on second screen "Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)
Click next
8. Select on third screen "Search for the best driver in these locations"
Uncheck the “Search removal media”
Check the “Include this location in the search”
Click the “Browse” button and navigate to a directory on the C drive
C:\ATI\Support\7-7-igp_xp32_dd_ccc_wdm_sb_gart_enu_49709\Driver\XP_INF

9. Click next and driver will install the ATI RADEON XPRESS 200M.
10. Reboot and verify the driver installed is:

ATI Technologies Inc.

Now if we can get the function keys working.

A

aldihani

WoW. I mean WoW. What a great group of people. So helpfull and kind to others. Thank you. Thank you....................................................
...........................................................................................................................................................................................................................Thank you.

H

hlima

I removed Vista in my Satellite A135-s2386 and installed both Linux Ubuntu and Windows XP, thanks a lot for the help with XP, it's working everything except LCD brightness. With Ubuntu everything except audio was recognized, then I just upgrated the alsa driver and sound is present. :D

For the LCD Brightness in Ubuntu just open a terminal windows and type:

echo 20 | sudo dd of=/proc/acpi/video/VGA/LCD/brightness

where 20 is the brightness level.

You can try the ubuntu without moving a single bit of your hdd running it from live CD, Give Ubuntu Feisty a try http://www.ubuntu.com/ , works excelent.

I also installed beryl (not to easy BTW), see how nice it works:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC5uEe5OzNQ

I still working with brightness in XP...

D

driverhelp

I talked to someone else about the brightness and other controls using the Fn key + any of the Function keys. I was told it's through the BIOS. Upon research, I'm finding that ACPI might have something to do with it. I have a a135-s2386 Toshiba laptop. I'll try to let you all know.

P

Pravitus

Like many others, I jumped in head first, fdisked (both partitions), and installed XP-SP2. Only then, did I discover the error of my impulsive ways. Google brought me to this forum. Thanks to all (especially Datars) for the information and files. The 2386 is running smoothly (and as fast as I expected on XP). No driver errors in device manager. My recommendation to all....
Keep the "Datars-Disk" and a copy of this forum archived on the hard drive, as well as CD/DVD, just in case somebody else has to follow the path later.

I will continue to search with others for the "Holy Grail" ... (brightness Fn key)

Pravitus

Gopherit13

Gopherit13

I just tried the link for the 135-2386 drivers and it didn't work.....any chance of getting it reposted?

Gopherit13

Gopherit13

still havin probs

ok....i just went from vista to xp pro sp2 and all seems to be running well, but i can NOT seem to locate the drivers for the SM Bus Controller and am still seeing yellow questionmarks for Unknown devices

thanx for the help in advance!!

Associates