Toshiba Satellite A135-S2386

N

neha3000

vijayc8 said:
TOSHIBA A135-2386 LAPTOP. windows xp drivers.

I have given up, this is not worth trying so long, I have put back Vista on it, hopefully few months/years they will fix all the bugs, getting the FN keys and mouse freezing to work is horrible tried most of it from this postings not working and I was not ready to reload xp again. mine works with vista now all good, thanks for all .

Vijayc8
Which version of XP did u try to load??

Home or PRO

B

bs953

vijayc8 said:
XP pro sp2.
Hey look if your gonna quit on us then cancel your account! LOL just kidding. Come on this is what it is all about. I have the better part of 100+ hours messing with mine/weeks (not days) thats the whole idea here work around the norms and WIN. DONT give up! Never ever give up. When it smokes, fix the damn thing!

N

neha3000

bs953 said:
Hey look if your gonna quit on us then cancel your account! LOL just kidding. Come on this is what it is all about. I have the better part of 100+ hours messing with mine/weeks (not days) thats the whole idea here work around the norms and WIN. DONT give up! Never ever give up. When it smokes, fix the damn thing!
DO NOT GIVE UP DUDE.

N

neha3000

Just Completed my downgrade to XP pro SP2. PC is blazing fast when compared to speed with vista. only one unknown device in the hidden devices field. Will try to fix that as well. Will post the sequence of steps for this downgrade soon. will also post a list of drivers used.

PS: I have A135-s2386 with XP pro SP2 / 512 MB ram

Thanks to this site, the process went on without a hitch.

Issues: few function keys not working (brightness / mouse /wireless)

Thanks Guys

N

newuser01

S2386 and win xp

How many of you here are using XP with Toshiba S2386 ?

I've seen a couple of posts here that indicate a few problems with drivers.
1. mouse freezing.
2. bad video drivers.
3. dedicated DVD player controls.
4. Fn keys.

Please elaborate if you get them to work with what driver or not! :confused:

Regards.
Noob.
I have a S2386 and need to down grade to XP. Would love to hear from you all who have the same machine.

N

neha3000

newuser01 said:
How many of you here are using XP with Toshiba S2386 ?

I've seen a couple of posts here that indicate a few problems with drivers.
1. mouse freezing.
2. bad video drivers.
3. dedicated DVD player controls.
4. Fn keys.

Please elaborate if you get them to work with what driver or not! :confused:

Regards.
Noob.
I have a S2386 and need to down grade to XP. Would love to hear from you all who have the same machine.

Hi I have a S2386 with XP pro. So far (thank god) I have not had any mouse freezing issues. Video driver works fine. No issues there, except i do not know how to adjust brightness. The dvd player (windows media player) buttons work fine. Most of the function keys work. except brightness, wireless,mouse

I will put the list of drivers i have used soon. I used mostly datar's drivers and some drivers were downloaded from toshiba europe for a clone model.

B

BCCOMP

Use Datars link for these drivers. I believe they were for a S2276. these drivers have not caused me any problems with the install. All major components work well with the exception of a unknown device (ACPI) in the hidden device folder. I also downloaded the Synaptics mouse driver from the Synaptics site. This was not mentioned to much on this thread The only problem is the Fn keys for the LCD, wireless, and touchpad are not working. May be the ACPI issue.

N

newuser01

Thank you both for replying soo fast!!
This is great. I do , how ever would like more info. Which video driver did you use? As I understand it, there are 2 different ones that could work.

I have dl'd Datars drivers and have it on a CD for quick install. Thank you Datars!

I have farther concerns with " Fn keys for the LCD, wireless, and touchpad" the most important ones would be touchpad and wireless. I could live with Fn keys not functioning for lcd.

Please everyone, chime in and let us know. Which drivers for which if you know for sure. And some are having volume trouble with their Toshiba's. Are you?

If I could avoid a "complete wipe and starting again" would be great.

Regards.
Noob

gatorback

gatorback

Peace4Future, which URL did you load the driver for your display (video) to get your Toshiba A135-S2386 working? I have been able to get everything except modem & the display to work under XP.

Thank you.

B

BCCOMP

XP Drivers S2386

On Datar's CD Use the following Drivers
Video- Ati Radeon 200m (Omega Version 3.8.330)
Audio- Realtek HD Audio
Modem- Toshiba Software Modem
SM Bus Controller- ATI IO Communication Bus Controller
Wireless- Atheros AR5006 Wireless Network Adapter OEM1
Sound- Realtek High Definition Audio
Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio
Mouse- I went to the Synaptics web site to download the touchpad

After these are downloaded you should have only 2 Unknown devices
These are Direct Application Launch Buttons (you will have to install these for each of the unknown devices). You should then see all the yellow marks gone in device manager. If you go to hidden view you will see one unknown device, ACPI. This is the one I mentioned earlier in the thread. I am still working on this one, but it seems it is Vista related. I know others have tried to download the original ATI Catalyst for video, but were unable to install.
You may want to try downloading and installing the Southbridge and then the ATI Video driver only to see if that works. This may get the Fn keys to work, but I have not tried this. Be sure to do a Full Microsoft Update to resolve the processor at only running half speed. I had this problem until I did a full update (do not know why). I had only a 2 day window to get this computer running for a client.
Good Luck
PS Thanks again Datar

Last edited:
gatorback

gatorback

S2386 Audio Driver Success, Video symptoms

BBCOMP, Thanks for the tiger team (rapid) response.

Did the Datar Realtek HD Audio and 'ATI Radeon 200m (Omega Version 3.8.330)' drivers provided by Datar work in your S2386? I ask because I could not get the "Unknown PCI Device" to acknowledge the Realtek HD Audio driver. I did not go softly into the night. I retrieved and installed the Realtek audio driver WDM_R170.zip 25.168 MB.

Installing this package solved the audio problem (knocked out Unknown PCI Device" and sound now works) and revealed the need for the modem driver. It looks like the sound and modem are coupled together somehow. Should I use the modem driver executable from the Toshiba Install disk (I am afraid of zorching the drive and all my progress)?

Datars drivers worked with the remaining devices in the S2386.

I installed the Datar ATI Video driver, however, the max resolution it will allow on the primary monitor is 1024x768. I am in search of a way to disable the secondary monitor (RAM is the scarce resource). Has anyone had success with Datar S2276 ATI Radeon 200m (Omega Version 3.8.330) on a S2386?

Uninstalling and reinstalling Datar's ATI Radeon 200m (Omega Version 3.8.330) allowed me to set the primary video to 1280x800, HOWEVER, upon reboot it went back into 1024x768 and will not allow me to set the primary monitor back to 1280x800. I wonder if this is a problem with a setting and not the driver. If you know of an alternative, please post.

Datar's 2276 drivers worked on the rest of the devices including the wireless.

Last edited:
B

bs953

gatorback said:

Did the Datar Realtek HD Audio and 'ATI Radeon 200m (Omega Version 3.8.330)' drivers provided by Datar work in your S2386? I ask because I could not get the "Unknown PCI Device" to acknowledge the Realtek HD Audio driver. I did not go softly into the night. I retrieved and installed the Realtek audio driver WDM_R170.zip 25.168 MB.

Installing this package solved the audio problem (knocked out Unknown PCI Device" and sound now works) and revealed the need for the modem driver. It looks like the sound and modem are coupled together somehow. Should I use the modem driver executable from the Toshiba Install disk (I am afraid of zorching the drive and all my progress)?

I installed the Datar ATI Video driver, however, the max resolution it will allow on the primary monitor is 1024x768. I am in search of a way to disable the secondary monitor (RAM is the scarce resource). Has anyone had success with Datar S2276 ATI Radeon 200m (Omega Version 3.8.330) on a S2386?

Uninstalling and reinstalling Datar's ATI Radeon 200m (Omega Version 3.8.330) allowed me to set the primary video to 1280x800, HOWEVER, upon reboot it went back into 1024x768 and will not allow me to set the primary monitor back to 1280x800. I wonder if this is a problem with a setting and not the driver. If you know of an alternative, please post.

The modem and sound drivers are tied together, use the Toshiba driver and see what happens, either it will work or wont period. You need to use the ATI driver from ATI I provided the link back here somewhere. The problem you described is what I ran into which is why I uninstalled the Omega drivers among other things. Also go into device manager and click on view and enable show hidden devices, you will find more errors there. The final ones you wont be able to get rid of are ACPI related and we are all trying to get around that problem.

B

blt6129

Good Work !

I've been searching for information, thanks for all the good data. I also have a A135-S2386, I want to install XP. I'm not quite ready to do it yet, so I'll be checking back in. I just wanted to thank everyone in advance for the good work you're doing...

B

BCCOMP

gatorback said:

Did you try to download and Install the ATI SouthBridge Driver and the ATI Video Driver Video Seperately on the ATI site? If you have installed the ATI Omega Driver on Datars CD you may have to start all over again (format hard drive). I saw thru the forum that ATI and Omega do not mix and the Omega Driver is hard to remove all traces. The ACPI missing driver may also be causing this problem, but am not sure yet. Did you try and drop the colour down a bit, Maybe from 32 bit to 16bit. This may not help, but the highest resolution for the S2386 is 1280X800, you are only down a notch. I do not have the laptop at this time to try the Flash utility described eairlier, but let me know if it works.
Good luck.

gatorback

gatorback

S2386 Video Drive: Recommendation Please

bs953 said:
The modem and sound drivers are tied together, use the Toshiba driver and see what happens, either it will work or wont period. You need to use the ATI driver from ATI I provided the link back here somewhere. The problem you described is what I ran into which is why I uninstalled the Omega drivers among other things. Also go into device manager and click on view and enable show hidden devices, you will find more errors there. The final ones you wont be able to get rid of are ACPI related and we are all trying to get around that problem.

BS593, I am reformatting my machine and will try again. That being said, I have tried several different video drivers and none were successful. These include AMD's catalyst, Datars 'ATI RADEON XPRESS 200M Series (Omega 3.8.330)' and the Brazilian's drivers. Maybe I need to resolve the video card first this time then try the other devices.

Aren't the ATI drivers the same thing as the Omega Drivers? If not, please repost the link.

If anyone has had success with a video driver, would you please post the link to it or post the message number. This thread is over 350 messages long: I don't mind putting in the effort to find the post, however, I am concerned that I will not use the right driver. Reinstalling the OS is time consuming and I would like to avoid repeating OS installation.

I truly appreciate anyone that can claim success with a video driver and provide a hyperlink to the video driver. The good will and willingness to pitch in has been remarkable here.

N

neha3000

Hello All.
I have been trying to find a way to control the LCD brightness on my s2386. I found a software where you can save profiles with different brightness setting, and each profile can be associated with a hot-key combination. This is a cool software does not use much resources. Good Luck.

http://www.donationcoders.com/stars/files/gapa.zip

B

bs953

gatorback said:
BS593, I am reformatting my machine and will try again. That being said, I have tried several different video drivers and none were successful. These include AMD's catalyst, Datars 'ATI RADEON XPRESS 200M Series (Omega 3.8.330)' and the Brazilian's drivers. Maybe I need to resolve the video card first this time then try the other devices.

Aren't the ATI drivers the same thing as the Omega Drivers? If not, please repost the link.

If anyone has had success with a video driver, would you please post the link to it or post the message number. This thread is over 350 messages long: I don't mind putting in the effort to find the post, however, I am concerned that I will not use the right driver. Reinstalling the OS is time consuming and I would like to avoid repeating OS installation.

I truly appreciate anyone that can claim success with a video driver and provide a hyperlink to the video driver. The good will and willingness to pitch in has been remarkable here.
try this I went back and found the damn link you owe me a beer:
http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/xp/integrated-xp.html

gatorback

gatorback

bs593,

Initially I thought it did not work, however, after exercising due diligence, I was able to manually load the file. It was not obvious, however, I am confirming that the drivers in the folder XP_INF will work.

http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/xp/integrated-xp.html

I encountered all sorts of errors while installing: The ATI driver error reads: 'Setup did not find a driver compatible with your current hardware or OS.' Setup will now exit. I tried to install the driver through the device manager and had this error 'The hardware was not installed because the wizrd cannot find the necessary software'. However, they are of no consequence.

Let me know if you are in St. Augustine and I will buy you that beer. I may move to Miami next in August, so let me know if you are in FL. Thank you!

Last edited:
B

BCCOMP

Gatorback
Did you download the whole catylast from ATI or just the Southbridge and Driver. You said you did a manual install, but did not specify what you downloaded. Did this take care of your LCD issue? Just wanted to know.

Thanks

Associates