Toshiba DVD Recorder

A

alexBB

I purchased this Toshiba DVR670/DVR670KU DVD/VHS Recorder with Built in Tuner, a month ago. It seems to be a nice machine but only in the first approximation. On more careful inspection I found the following problems.

1. When I plugged the box into Comcast cable and let the tuner go thru the channels it could only pick up a handful of them, perhaps a dozen. I am mostly after the TCM, old movies and stuff. I could not get this at all. When I called Toshiba (they are fairly accessible) a woman said that it is because "Comcast wants you to use their modem," or the digital box as they call it.

It kind of defeats the purpuse of having a tuner. A tunerless model cost much less. Now I use the DVR box blugged into their "digital box."

2. Another problem is the aspect ratio. TCM channel on our dial is split into two parts: analogue (ch 66) and digital (HD) at ch 185. When I record on 66 (analogue) the image fills the entire screen of my Sony but the people are squashed and look fat. Marlene Ditrich looked like she gained 60 pounds in Marocco.

When I record movies on 185 (HD, digital) the image past DVD recorder is significantly smaller than when you get the picture straight from the cable. There are wide margins (black bands) above and below the image and also on both sides.

I called Toshiba on that and a guy tried to assure me that it is Sony (TV's) fault, specifically due to the fact that I am using an HDMI connection. I don't really believe him but will probably call Sony on that.

There is nothing to regulate as far as HDMI input is concerned in the back of the Sony TV box.

Could anybody with experience to make a comment?

Thanks.

Last edited:
A

alexBB

Right after I posted the message yesterday I could see an EDIT button so I could edit my text and correct typos. This morning I don't see this button at all and regretfully I can see a few typos still. Is there a way to remedy it?

Thanks.

Associates