This is so confusing...

O

Omnicent

Confusing but, basic. Which is the top performer for AA/Antiscropic Filtering programs, NOT ONLY DX9 (I know the Ti4200 is weak in those areas):

Ti4200 8x 128Mb
FX 5600 128Mb
FX 5600 256Mb
FX 5600 Ultra 128Mb
FX 5600 Ultra 256Mb (does it exist?)
Radeon 9500 Pro 126Mb

From what I've read, the Ti4200 beats the 5600, the 5600 Ultra beats the Radeon 9500 Pro and the Ti4200; but where does the 5600 256Mb stand?

O

Omnicent

No, no no , performance. I know that ATI has better AA And AF than nVidia, but which performs the best. Supposedly the 5600 Ultra performs better.

F

F_A_L_C_O_N

this REVIEW might help

as for 128MB/256MB ram I dont think its an issue for now, and when it will be you will need better GPU anyway

M

Moraelin v2.0

Originally posted by Omnicent
No, no no , performance. I know that ATI has better AA And AF than nVidia, but which performs the best. Supposedly the 5600 Ultra performs better.
One thing to remember, though, is that the two are not really separate issues.

For example: If you want more speed at the expense of graphics quality, you can always go lower resolution or change from 8x Aniso to 4x Aniso. And conversely, if you can live with a performance drop to get better graphics quality, you can always just go higher resolution.

So what happens in practice for most people is that you'll try to get a balance between how good it looks and how low a fps you're willing to live with. Exactly where that balance point lies, varies from person to person, but that balance is really what you're looking for anyway.

And IMHO any comparison between graphics cards should never be about speed alone or about image quality alone. It should follow the real issue: how much better this balance point is for card X than for card Y. (E.g., if I bring them both to look equally good, which is faster. Or conversely, if I bring them both to the exact same number of frames per second, which of them looks better. Yes. this can mean that the two run in different resolutions and at completely different settings for this kind of a comparison.)

Associates