Thank you to moderators and members.

756TB

This forum has been my favorite source of current information for the last several years. I have probably visited hundreds of times but never posted, by searching around I have found answers for the hardware and operating questions I was wondering about.

You folks but alot of time and effort into this forum, I just wanted you to know that it is very much appreciated.

PS; I especially appreciate to foolish questions from the computer illiterate and the time you take with answering them.

DanceMan

DanceMan

Procrastinating Member
I think it's nice to have a place that a complete novice, but with enough guts to plunge in and try, can come for advice and be treated with respect and patience.

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks, we try. Nice that you finally posted and let us know you're here :D

RecklessLeper

RecklessLeper

Tis what we're here for (well, some of us anyway heh) - Nice to be appreciated! :)

756TB

Located in the tropical southern southeast cruise ship center of Ketchikan; rainest place in North America. Trying to figure out what to put into a new build and finish the project before salmon season begins end of June.

756TB

Finished New Machine

AMD Guy: I saw your post this morning at work, tonight the new machine is sitting on the kitchen table plugged in and working for the first time. If I had it to do over there are a few items it would change, but it seems it be OK.

Most obvious place to start is the case: Silverstone TJ09-BW. A1 quality and certainly worth the price to me. I think that all that room, (3) 120 fans in addition to the 120mm fan in the separate drive bay, plus the Zalman 7700-CU CPU cooler worked well for a 28C CPU temp before it was overclocked to 3.0, idle temp is now 30C. One of the new things I learned for myself is that the window makes it nice to see that the fans are running.

Motherboard: ASUS P5W DH Deluxe. OK overall I suppose. Only three basic SATA connectors and those got used for a 74GB Raptor, a 320GB Seagate, and a SATA interface DVD. A pair of SATA connectors on the lower corner of the motherboard seems to be intended for "EZ backup" as a pair of HDD's in Raid 1, maybe latter I'll figure out something to use them for. Another pair of eSATA on and near the back panel that I will hopefully use for a simple plug-in HDD for storage, I guess the intention of these two is Raid 0 with one HDD inside the machine and the other external: take one HDD with you and the data is secure. Installation and plug-in components were OK on the board. I am going to have to set up the case so I don't keep looking at the window and motherboard though: two empty memory slots and three empty PCI slots really look like things are missing inside this case.

Processor: Intel E6600. Overclocked to 3.0.
The only benchmark I have right now is with Windows VISTA 64-bit Ultimate: "WIndows Experience Index" the numbers are Processor 5.7, Memory 5.9, Graphics 5.9, Gaming Graphics 5.8, and Primary HDD 5.9. Could someone tell me how those numbers stand in relation to this computer?

CPU cooler: Zalman 7700-CU LED. I was going to get a Zalman 9700 but decided to go with this one because it moves air across the CPU heatsink itself and hopefully increases airflow around the Northbridge cooling fins. It seems to do a good job and isn't so heavy that I would worry too much about it.

OS: VISTA 64-bit Ultimate. Just something new to me at this point, will see what kind of problems there might be with programs after a month or two.

Memory: 2GB (2x1) Patriot DDR2-800 4-4-4-12. Wish I could have afforded 4GB at 2x2. Now it looks like some of those fancy Corsair LED memory sticks would be right at home in there. That ain't gona happen, but probably another (2x1) someday.

Fan controller: none of the fans run off the motherboard, all are on the 3X front panel controller or individual controls. Running at about 1/3 to 1/2 speed and I cannot hear anything except the Raptor when it is working.

Video Card: Powercolor X1950XT (512). Card seems OK but that cooling fan it came with is the cheapest, flimsy piece of plastic on the whole build. Tied to replace it with a Zalman VF900 GPU cooler but the sticky tape was too strong and it might have damaged the card to get it off. Motherboard temp probe back in that area is 35C. The video card is working OK it seems.

PSU: Thermaltake W0119RU 750W. It is OK but I wish I had looked around more, probably a Silverstone PSU would have worked better. The case has a vent grid right below the bottom mounted PSU so it can draw air from under the case and exhause out the back. This Thermaltake would not mount that way so it draws air from inside the case. Works OK, had enough connections for everything.

Plugged in a Plextor CD burner (PX-240A) and a Samsung DVD (SH-S183L LS SATA). I should have used an IDE type DVD connection to free up a third regular SATA port, and Vista would have loaded easier.

Monitor: Chimei 22". Seems OK. I have been using an 18" CRT which has an 11" tall screen. The 22" wide screen LCD is 11.5" height. I could not have afforded anything larger, but I wish there were an inch or two more for the height of the screen. I just measured the monitor and the case, I thought that maybe the 22" monitor would actually fit INSIDE the computer case and fill up that window (not).

Everything seems good. Will finish this post and dig up some speakers and music to see how that works, time to play with the new toy.

Thanks again to everyone here who helped with advice and information. I will certainly have alot more questions.

AMD Guy

AMD Guy

Very nice! I am actually considering buying that exact LCD monitor. It is on sale here locally for $ 240.00. Looks like you are not all that impressed with it or are you just bummed because of its size?

I once made a computer with a 15" LCD in the side of the case. Still have the LCD and still tinkering.

jankerson

jankerson

Super Moderator
756TB said:
Video Card: Powercolor X1950XT (512). Card seems OK but that cooling fan it came with is the cheapest, flimsy piece of plastic on the whole build. Tied to replace it with a Zalman VF900 GPU cooler but the sticky tape was too strong and it might have damaged the card to get it off. Motherboard temp probe back in that area is 35C. The video card is working OK it seems.

Not sure whay you did that.....

The Stock Cooler works very well really.

jankerson

jankerson

Super Moderator
JPnyc said:
Look at where he lives. Why would he need any cooler at all?

True he could just put the PC outside and he wouldn't need any fans or cooling at all. :D

756TB

Monitor & Video Card Cooler

AMD Guy: The Chimei 22" monitor seems just fine. I actually selected that one because I remembered a recommendation from someone that it would be a good graphics monitor, I thought that was on this forum but I could not find the post again. Until I get my desk set up again with that monitor the correct distance and height I really will not know for sure but I doubt there will be any issues. At this point I am satisfied with the selection I made, it seems to be well made and the outward appearence is very nice.

Question: In the Newegg reviews they talked about "dead pixels", how would I check that? Are there any other tests or trials I could run on the monitor that could provide you with information?

Re the Powercolor heatsink and fan I just got carried away ordering stuff. Ya gotta remember I'm a new guy who has never done this before. Although I've been using computers since 1972 (if punch cards count) I am really a compleat novice when it comes to tinkering with the machine itself. I just read as much as I could, asked a few questions and ordered a bunch of stuff to plug together. I probably didn't NEED a new computer at all; the old AMD 1800+ and ASUS A7V266-E motherboard is doing OK.

I spend most of the day at work on the computer doing production numbers and reports. The company provided equipment is a little on the old and slow side and sometimes I have actually began to loose my temper and say very bad things about the quality of the tools I have to work with. I know that part of the reason I wanted a new, good quality computer at home was because of the flustration at work. I like computers. I enjoy digging up information from the internet and doing projects with the computer, and I wanted that experience to be as enjoyable as possible with good tools.

And please........ it isn't that cold here. I am in "Southern Southeast" Alaska, the temperatures are already into the 40's and 50's. In another three months I will not even be able to see snow pack on the mountain tops when I look up from that new monitor. Damm, it is even tourist season already with 5,000 to 10,000 critters a day showing up on those floating hotels they call cruise ships. If I were inclined to take advantage of the climate for cooling the computer I would certainly go with water cooling; 16 to 18 feet of rain is a wonderful thing, or tap water that is always 38-45 degrees.

Getting late and work starts early. If there is anything I can do to check the preformance of that monitor please let me know and I'll give it a try.

Tuttle

Tuttle

Resident Cynic
Dead/stuck pixels on an LCD are individual red/green/blue spots which are stuck on or off. The way to check is to look at solid colours on the screen and check for abnormalities by eye. Look at black to check for stuck pixels, and at white, red, green and blue to check for dead ones. There are programs which will do that, but MS Paint will do fine as well (just press Alt-Space, M and move the window around with the cursor keys to check the edges).

Associates