Temperature Problem!!!

A

AriciU_of_KoF

I've been running my 1ghz tbird @ 1250 on a Abit KT7A at 1.85v. It was running cool since yesterday. Yesterday the temps were going crazy. I was playing Quake1 (yes, that game ownez) and the temp rised to 62C. Same thing happens when i play q3 too. Before yesterday it would never climb to more then 50C. I've got the CORE from CPUfx. I've tryed other noname coolers but it's the same. Just the idle temps are better with my CORE. I've tryed other voltages (1.775, 1.8) but it's still going to 60C. I wouldn't get bothered by this but my pc locks up at 63C. I installed the cooler again, put some thermal paste but still the same thing. What can be wrong here? I'm going crazy.

------------------
T-Bird 1000 @ 1250 (9 x 139)
Abit KT7A
128 Mb Kingston PC133 Cas2
Creative GeForce2 GTS (220 / 370)
Quantum Fireball AS 40Gb 7200RPM ATA100
ADi Microscan E66 19" Monitor
Bla...Bla...Bla

S

S_Klass

Numerous reviews have shown the CORE to be nothing more then eyecandy. The reason why it keeps lower idle temps on your CPU is because it has the greater mass when compared with a generic cooler. It lacks the finely pinned or finned surface area that will keep your CPU cooled at full load temps.

------------------
-=S_Klass=- I tweak... therefore I am.

A

AriciU_of_KoF

Should i put the 7200 RPM fan from the core on my old noname heatsink?

------------------
Abit KT7A
Bla...Bla...Bla

S

S_Klass

What coolers do you have availiable to you? Test them and see which gives you the best performance with the Delta 38CFM and that should tide you over till you decide to get another HSF. Current top performers include the ThermoEngine w/38CFM fan. The PAL 6035 w/38CFM no longer wears the performance crown but it's still a good no-nonsense performer.

------------------

J

Justintime

if you have tried other coolers and they gave the same results, check up on the system, clean the core of the processor itself and look and see if the clip is going down peoperly, also, how's the weather? if it suddenly got warm, the case temps will go up and so will the cpu's. My Athlon 1.2 266fsb ran 37C average topping at 41C with a taisol unit, i put back my Fop-38 and temps were around 35C maxing at 38C, now that its getting warm here i average 39-43C still ok, but the case temps have gone up a few degrees as well by about 3-5C

------------------
Jr

N

netdude

A good cheap HSF is a Martix, $10 and it's got a nice size fan. Keeps my T-Bird between 36c-48c in a hot room with my left panel off.

Todd a

Todd a

Man you can't beat this one:

https://www.microbarn.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/Store/p-FAN-VOLCANO2.html?L+scstore+pqtp9146ffa959a9+986253695

They have a Volcano II for $8, but they charge $10 for shipping. This still puts it pretty cheap for an above average cooler. I personnally like the FOP32-1 which runs about $18-20 (most good places charge only $4 to ship it).

------------------
The COMPUTER is your FRIEND!
Happiness is manditory.

A

AriciU_of_KoF

Heh. I can't buy from the net. Just look at my location
(i got the core from a friend).
The weather didn't get hotter. I'm gonna try this shitty heatsink i have from my old Acorp cooler with the delta fan on it.
Tkz for the reply's.

------------------
Abit KT7A
Bla...Bla...Bla

A

AriciU_of_KoF

Well. I couldn't get the fan off the CORE so i thought i should try to put it on the cpu again. I pressed it real hard so i knew it made good contact. Bla...Bla...Bla...My cpu BURNED
I mean, i pressed it real HARD. I should have at least crack the core but no, it burned. Now i got a new 1ghz tbird that does 1251 just like this one. The problem is that it gets to 70C when overclocked and at default speeds and voltage it gets to 63 C with my shitty Acorp cooler (i'm not putting the core on again). I gotta get a new cooler. Can there be some problem here? I mean 63C when playing quake at default speed and voltage? WTF? Can it be 'cose i lapped my heatsink?
I'm left with a 1GHZ KEYCHAIN

Stay away from the CORE btw. It's CRAP.

------------------
Abit KT7A
Bla...Bla...Bla

AMD 1GHZ KEYCHAIN

[This message has been edited by AriciU_of_KoF (edited 04-03-2001).]

S

S_Klass

Hate to say it but I told you s...

Tuff luck, did you manage to get an RMA?

------------------

DoctorFoxx

DoctorFoxx

Originally posted by AriciU_of_KoF:
Well...Now i got a new 1ghz tbird that does 1251 just like this one. The problem is that it gets to 70C when overclocked and...

It does 1251 just like what one ? I thought it burned up ???

You didnt get an exchange...that's an expensive keychain !

Cool though..

------------------
"I cant drive...55 !!!" Dr. Foxx AMd.

A

AriciU_of_KoF

It does 1251 just like the one that burned. It gets to 70C thought. I couldn't get an exchange because i voided the warranty. They blamed me for the burn (they should have too
).

S_Klass: RMA?

I've gotta search for a new cooler. All i can find here is a shitty ORB.

------------------
Abit KT7A
Bla...Bla...Bla
+
AMD 1GHZ KEYCHAIN

[This message has been edited by AriciU_of_KoF (edited 04-04-2001).]

C

chipzilla

Originally posted by AriciU_of_KoF:
Well. I couldn't get the fan off the CORE so i thought i should try to put it on the cpu again. I pressed it real hard so i knew it made good contact. Bla...Bla...Bla...My cpu BURNED
I mean, i pressed it real HARD. I should have at least crack the core but no, it burned. Now i got a new 1ghz tbird that does 1251 just like this one. The problem is that it gets to 70C when overclocked and at default speeds and voltage it gets to 63 C with my shitty Acorp cooler (i'm not putting the core on again). I gotta get a new cooler. Can there be some problem here? I mean 63C when playing quake at default speed and voltage? WTF? Can it be 'cose i lapped my heatsink?

Stay away from the CORE btw. It's CRAP.

Esti bou .... ,

that means "you're dumb"

------------------
Celeron II [email protected]
Abit BF6
256 RAM PC133
Voodoo 3 2000 [email protected]
Quantum LM 15 Gb
SB Live Value
FPS 2000
2960 3D Mark

B

Binar

I've bought a Volcano II with my 1.33 t-bird and I'm not too happy with it. Very cheap ($16 shipped),not very loud but it can't do much in cooling your CPU(47C-116F CPU temp).
Your best choice will be a FOP32-1(very close of FOP 38 but not so loud)
RMA=Return manufacture authorization
(esti obligat sa ceri de la firma producatoare sau resseler- RMA cand ai garantie si vrei sa trimiti ceva inapoi pentru ca este defect)
Just a thought

A

AriciU_of_KoF

Chipzilla: statea cooleru perfect pe proc mah. Nici nu puteam sa-l misc. S-a ars doar un coltz mic din core.

Binar: si tu esti roman mah?
Daca da, de unde ai luat tbirdu ala la 1.33?

------------------
Abit KT7A
Bla...Bla...Bla
+
AMD 1GHZ KEYCHAIN

[This message has been edited by AriciU_of_KoF (edited 04-04-2001).]

C

chipzilla

Originally posted by Binar:

RMA=Return manufacture authorization
(esti obligat sa ceri de la firma producatoare sau resseler- RMA cand ai garantie si vrei sa trimiti ceva inapoi pentru ca este defect)
Maybe in your country , but here in Romania, we live under other rules ...

------------------
Celeron II [email protected]
Abit BF6
256 RAM PC133
Voodoo 3 2000 [email protected]
Quantum LM 15 Gb
SB Live Value
FPS 2000
2960 3D Mark

B

Binar

Ariciu
1)Did you use any thermal paste at all?Usually the thermal pad that came with your heatsink is useless if you want to do some overclocking.Also I bet you removed the 4 pads you found on your CPU.Am I right?
2)Yes I was born in Romania but I moved to US long time ago.So you can figure out now where I bought my CPU.Anyway I've ordered it from www.newegg.com for $234.

A

AriciU_of_KoF

Binar: I've used Arctic Silver II on it. I think i put too much of it on the cpu's core. I didn't remove those 4 rubber feet from it (of course i didn't)

------------------
Abit KT7A
Bla...Bla...Bla
+
AMD 1GHZ KEYCHAIN :D

N

netdude

Obviously something went wrong, it almost sounds like the heatsink wasn't sitting on top of the core slug the way it's supposed to. I use a $10 Matrix HSF and $2 thermal compound and the hottest this thing(gig T-Bird) ever will ever get to is 46c under full load, but usually will idle around 39c-42c.

H

Hogiee

I think what you are missing is a copper spacer. My Tbird is running at 49 degrees with quakeIII running and a large image being converted in Photoshop. I have tried this a few times for about a 20 to 30 min duration. At idle my cpu runs about 33 degrees. I am using my Pal6035 and a converter(i made) for a Panaflo 92mm L1A. I don't think I will have much airflow problem with 48 cfm of air taken fresh from the side.
The copper spacer with some artic Silver compound help drop the temp by about 8-10 degree due to better contact. Did I also mention that with the 92mm fan, my case is extremely quiet @ less than 30dBa. I hope i help out a bit. Good luck.

------------------
Tbird-C 266MHz Fbs [email protected]
Alpha PAL6035+92mm 48CFM Panaflo L1A
ABIT KT7A RAID
ATI RADEON 64MB VIVO
2x256MB Tonicom PC166
2XIBM 75GXP 30GIG RAID 0
IBM 75GXP 45GIG
-Aopen HX08 Chassis
120mm Panaflo L1A Aluminum Fan
2 Silencer 20dBa Fans
Dynamat