Tbird Cooling problems

C

CBProd

Hi, i have a tbird 800 and a asus a7v.
i just received a fop38 cooling fan. be4 i had a small coolmater, be4, i was getting around 55C for my cpu temp now im gettin around 58C. the cpu isnt overclocked, any ideas why my system isnt cooling? i got 80mm fans also
can someone plz help me this problem

R

Rainbow Six

Did you apply thermal compound? The slug is so small that you have to really get it good. My golden orb had some but it was off center so I got 50+c. I put another 80mm fan on it and got it at 45c. Then I got an alpha sink with a good small layer of thermal compound and I am steady at 41c.

C

CBProd

Where can i get thermal compound? im new to this. would i be able to get it at a local hardware or a radio shack kinda of place?

R

Rainbow Six

Make sure you just put a 1mm thin layer or so on the contact area,. Using Radio Shack stuff I used a dab and used my finger to spread it around until it was really thin. That way the heat goes to the metal better.

R

Rainbow Six

The reason you put it on is to make the cpu contact the heat sink 100%. Not enough and there are little spots where the cpu doesn't contact the heatsink: bad.

Too much and the heat doesn't get to the heatsink very well. It won't hurt it, but it will be simply less efficient than if you had it "perfect"