Targus Mini Usb hub, needs power?

J

jonny b

Computer Doctor
Got one of these today from an auction. Do I need the power supply for this 4 port mini usb hub or extension? Or will it work properly without extra power?

Tuttle

Tuttle

Resident Cynic
Depends on what you attach. For keyboard, mouse etc it'll probably be fine without the power supply. For devices with higher power requirements it'll get problematic without the power supply attached.

J

jonny b

Computer Doctor
You mean like a printer? I think that each usb port needs so much voltage to run them don't they?
I also have a pcmcia card that has only two usb's in it and in the middle of the device is a place to plug in power as well.

Tuttle

Tuttle

Resident Cynic
A USB port can supply up to a certain amount (I think 500mA) of power. If you connect devices to an unpowered hub which use less than that in total, it's fine -- the hub can just share the power from the PC. If your total requirement is more than that, you'll have issues unless the hub has its own power supply.

Tuttle

Tuttle

Resident Cynic
Same as any other piece of equipment -- use whatever voltage and current rating the device is expecting. With any luck the label on the hub will tell you what it needs, or else you might find out at the manufacturer's web site.

Associates