Table Saw or Band Saw?

H

Herryclark

Hey. Been wanting to do some home upgrading stuff on my workshop, but I want to get a reliable power cutter first. My friend has a hybrid table saw and it works amazing for his projects (home stuff too), but I've seen some DIYers and woodworkers I follow that they get a lot of use from their bandsaw.

I only have budget for one so I'm deciding between the two. Budget is around $1000-$1500. Want something to stick around for a long time and can be used for cabinet making, home renovations, etc.

C

cliffsthern78

Hey. Been wanting to do some home upgrading stuff on my workshop, but I want to get a reliable power cutter first. My friend has a hybrid table saw and it works amazing for his projects (home stuff too), but I've seen some DIYers and woodworkers I follow that they get a lot of use from their bandsaw.

I only have budget for one so I'm deciding between the two. Budget is around $1000-$1500. Want something to stick around for a long time and can be used for cabinet making, home renovations, etc.
Hmm have you been doing woodwork for a long time now? Coz if you are quite the beginner, I suggest you start with a bandsaw or a circular saw.

But if you've been at it for a long time now, a hybrid table saw can do a lot of things for you. And it fits your budget, too (even the best ones). If you want an idea of which models are on top of rankings, you might want to check out this list: https://www.sawinery.net/best-table-saw/best-hybrid-table-saw/.

Technoplume

Technoplume

I was going to stay out of this but, has a hobby and had some training on metal and wood crafting. Those 2 tool will do the same work but there completely made for different purposed. It'S like comparing orange flavor to Apple flavor, They both feed you but what you like is different. A table saw is obviously for a large scale builder, you build walls, and 1/8 inch or 2 is no big deal has the cover of the wall will hide the defect. Good for making straith lines. Band saw can work well with metal and wood, like cutting pipe for a plumber, and is also more flexible to cut round edges, Ofc with some tweaking you can cut long line but they will not be has perfect like on a table saw. I guess if you are willing to deal with both the plus and down of each machine, you need to ask: 1- how much space you have to work. 2- what is the main work you want to do. If you are going to do large furniture, then a table saw might be better, with a complement of hand tool. However if you want to do strange shapes, the band saw might be the better choice.

C

cliffsthern78

I was going to stay out of this but, has a hobby and had some training on metal and wood crafting. Those 2 tool will do the same work but there completely made for different purposed. It'S like comparing orange flavor to Apple flavor, They both feed you but what you like is different. A table saw is obviously for a large scale builder, you build walls, and 1/8 inch or 2 is no big deal has the cover of the wall will hide the defect. Good for making straith lines. Band saw can work well with metal and wood, like cutting pipe for a plumber, and is also more flexible to cut round edges, Ofc with some tweaking you can cut long line but they will not be has perfect like on a table saw. I guess if you are willing to deal with both the plus and down of each machine, you need to ask: 1- how much space you have to work. 2- what is the main work you want to do. If you are going to do large furniture, then a table saw might be better, with a complement of hand tool. However if you want to do strange shapes, the band saw might be the better choice.
Agreed. Thanks for the explanation. I'm a hobbyist/DIYer too, but I'm stil lstarting out on my powertool collection. This would be a great help. Thanks.

P

Pleake

Agree with Technoplume. Granted, my knowledge is very limited when it comes to crafts, but you should consider the size of your workshop as well as the size of current and future projects. These are different tools, although it can be said that the table saw is more rounded.

Technoplume

Technoplume

I saw a video a few week ago from a Dude in his work shop. Has he had limited space and was crafty with wood. He got a table saw that you can hook the Circular hand saw under. It'S kinda in the low end, but what he did after is very nice. Took a nice wood sheet to extend the table area, and cut out a stop sign hole in the middle. Where he attach it to the movable table saw and build and array of Addons. Using an octogonal wood piece he build suport for different power tools, Drills, dremels, circular, orbital etc... All he has to do now is swap the central piece and hes has a table to do any thing.

Markdc

Markdc

According to me, the table saw is way better than band saws far as functionality is concerned. Just the fact that you need a lot of space to keep the table saw.

G

Grace Hadid

I think space matters and so the priority does. However one can easily check out the table saw which is having way better space than any other.

Associates