switch with gateway

R

rickyticky

i am having speed problems. i am using a wirerless gateway , two computers are plugged in and three others are wireless.
could i use a switch first and them plug gateway into it? the two wired computers mite work faster? these two are the main ones for work.
please let me know.
thanks.

Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
You'll have to be more specific than that.

What do you mean by "speed problems"? Internet or intranet?

What kind of ISP do you have, cable or DSL? If you put a switch before the router, then your IPs won't match. Moreover, the two systems on the switch will be exposed to the Internet.

R

rickyticky

switch and gateway

i am using cable. road runner.
i was going to put the switch after the router and then plug the wireless gateway in. this way i could use two hard wired from the switch and then run the other ones from the gateway.
the two computers that were wired to the gateway now seem to be running slow. they receive information really slow from the web.

Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
So you have a wired router AND a wireless router/access point? A router is a gateway.

List the make/model of the network hardware you have so we can get a better picture of what is going on.

Moving the two wired computers to the primary router probably won't do much. You still need to go out the same cable modem.

R

rickyticky

switch and gateway

the first router is a scientific atlanta DPC2100R2
the wireless is a belkin F5D8233-4v3

Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
scientific atlanta DPC2100R2 is a cable modem, not a router. Leave your setup as is. Adding a switch between the cable modem and wifi router will not help.

You can try updating the firmware on your wifi router.

Associates