Super Pi Contest

RecklessLeper

RecklessLeper

Update

I've now upped the Xeons from 2.4 to 2.7 and knocked the time down from 1m 03s to 52s :)

M

Martin_89

Re: Update

Originally posted by RecklessLeper
I've now upped the Xeons from 2.4 to 2.7 and knocked the time down from 1m 03s to 52s :)
Nice one! i thought they would acctually have been faster than that

SaulTurnedPaul

SaulTurnedPaul

Hiking Member
I'm actually at 42 secs. See my post two pages back. *cough cough*, not that it matters or anything. ;)

U

Ultim8_Evil

I've formatted my laptop and reinstalled XP Pro sp2 and all the drivers but I still can't get less than 7 minutes!

CPUID assures me it's a PIII Coppermine 1.1ghz 11*100 but there's no mention of being a mobile CPU and there's no speedstep icon in the systray like i've seen on some laptops.

I've set everything I can in the bios to use max power wen plugged in and on battery so now i'm lucky to get 30-40 mins on a full charge.

Could having only 16k of L1 cache and 256k L2 have anything to do with my diabolical Super Pi performance? It doesn't seem any slower than usual in office tasks, browsing, surfing or playing the odd light game.

Last edited:
U

Ultim8_Evil

I know, even a Cryrix 333 is gonna be beating me!

A computer as slow as my Pi score suggests wouldn't be playing DVDs and GTA2 perfectly tho would it?

RecklessLeper

RecklessLeper

Originally posted by Martin_89
Nice one! i thought they would acctually have been faster than that
Actually, I was surprised at the time drop from a relatively small overclock. I'm somewhat of a newbie to Intel systems, so I'm still learning. I've had to turn the Hyper Threading off as it doesn't even go one increment above the stock FSB with it on, but it's a nice boost all the same :)

somehow i don't think superpi is an app that is optimized for dual-cpu's. could be wrong.
I don't think it is. :)

M

Martin_89

Been playing about adjusted my ram timings and upped my FSB by 2MHz and shaved another 2 seconds off for 42secs

Last edited:
M

Martin_89

Re: UPDATE

Originally posted by RecklessLeper
now at 48s :) Xeon 2.4 @ 2970MHz :)
Thats more like it :D

i think im going to pump mega voltages through my ram and go for the tightest timings i can get and then when i get my new heatsink overclock the CPU as far as i can and then see what time i can get.

but i wont leave it like that as i dont like uping the voltage of my ram too much.

drzaius2

drzaius2

Help Computa

it doesn't bother me too much to update it every so often as long as there are some nice gains.

what bothers me more is that i can't improve mine. i have my chip up to 2442mhz (11x222) and i can't go any lower then 43s !!!. while SexyMF is only at 2387 (11x217) can do it in 41s. outragous.

M

Martin_89

Originally posted by drzaius2
what bothers me more is that i can't improve mine. i have my chip up to 2442mhz (11x222) and i can't go any lower then 43s !!!. while SexyMF is only at 2387 (11x217) can do it in 41s. outragous.
i had that problem and playing with my ram timings got me from 45secs to 42 secs

Associates