Super Pi Contest

Andy_83

Andy_83

Powered by AMD
oh dear...I need help!

2m 53secs :(

That's with my old celeron cpu, not P4 as in my sig (which wasn't mine, back to Celeron now)

Is this purely because of the Celeron 1700 CPU?

Also - my voltage drops, well the 12v rail certainly does because I can hear the fans slow down quite a lot when the CPU usage goes up. This always happens, I can tell when the CPU is working just by listening to the fans! I suppose the lack of 12v to the CPU isn't helping? :rolleyes:

Andy_83

Andy_83

Powered by AMD
lol....about 10.82 volts on the +12v rail under full CPU load

here's a screenshot of my voltages ;)

When funds permit, I think I'll be looking at a decent power supply, I'm using a cheapo 400 watt one at the moment... :p

Andy_83

Andy_83

Powered by AMD
Nope...best I can get is 2m 32 seconds, with the FSB up to 118 (x17) and the voltage down to 1.6v (reading 1.52) If I try to push it any more it just becomes unstable...temps are fine though, nothing above 47.

(the amount of times I've just had to restart after locking it up)

It's not a good overclocker I don't think :rolleyes: , or maybe I'm a complete newbie to overclocking ;)

Andy_83

Andy_83

Powered by AMD
I think AMD is the bomb too lol, I've worked on 4 AMD systems in the last few weeks, none overclocked, and they just tend to be well nice lol :D

I've been wanting an nForce2 board pretty much since they came out, I just want to upgrade this thing.

I don't need to, I just want to :D

grover

grover

Ex pert
Originally posted by d94
p4 2.6 @ 2.6
1min 5sec

what gives?
That's not bad- it's comparable to my P4 scores, if you scale the speeds.

My P4 2.4 @ 3.2 with HT ran in 46 seconds- your clock speed is 81% as fast as mine, your fsb is (I'd imagine) 75% of mine, and your score is 70% of mine. Doesn't seem that far off the mark, especially if my RAM timings (dual channel 969MHz) are tighter than yours. Does seem maybe 5-10 seconds slower than it really aught to be, though. Were you running anything else in the background at the time? Virus scanner or anything?

M

Martin_89

love the wallpaper andy!

anything bottlenecking? that could be your problem but i cant see it.

Marvt74

Marvt74

HWC Superpi Champion
Ram timings seem to have alarge effect as i've seen people with even fsb jet lower speeds as me but with 2,2,2,11 getting faster times. Damn i want some bh5

Andy's 3,4,4,11 probably play a fair part in that

DJ_Keoki

DJ_Keoki

I am the Universe
Hey agw, we have the same chip at the same speed on the same chipset, but I'm 3 sec. faster. The only thing it could be is that my RAM is at 2-3-3-11 vs your 3-4-4-11. You sure you can't feed that Corsair a little more voltage and get those timings down a tad? Just a suggestion. I would play with 'em some to see if you could maybe get it down to like 2.5-4-3-11 or better.

agw_01

agw_01

Modified Member
Cheers Martin. I was going to go to bed (honest) but fancied a quick look on here first... haven't had a decent posting session in a while.

This RAM is completely maxx'd out. A while back it refused to run Prime95 stable, even though it used to previously. I had to change from 3-3-3-11 to 3-4-4-11. Has been fine since. It is running @ 400MHz and stock voltage tho, so I can't really complain that much.

DJ_Keoki... You posted just as I was replying, lol. I've tried to increase the voltage, but I can't ever remember getting anything more from the RAM. I'm not too sure about risking killing it though, it's not exactly cheap, hehe. I'll have a play and see if I can get it any faster. I was looking at your Pi score actually and was thinking... must be a well configured system :cool:

Last edited:
M

Martin_89

Originally posted by agw_01
Cheers Martin. I was going to go to bed (honest)
its ok, i know i was boaring you ;) only joking mate.

im going to have a play with my Ram timings and see what i can get from them.

Marvt74

Marvt74

HWC Superpi Champion
Your on geil value aint you?

When i was on 200fsb i managed to get 2.5,3,2,11 out of the ram but have had to relax those now to allow for 220fsb

DJ_Keoki

DJ_Keoki

I am the Universe
Hey Marv, when my SLK-947 comes in the mail, you're goin down! :p Seriously though, it will be interesting to see what this chip does on something other than stock voltage (highly doubt 2750mhz though). I know the board is capable of at least 220fsb, and that was with mixed RAM. Watch your back Marv.

E

ELF2000

cpu in sig : 59sec while surfing the net and reading this thread:)

Tbread 900 with 512mb ram: 2min 53sec

M

Martin_89

Originally posted by Marvt74
Your on geil value aint you?

When i was on 200fsb i managed to get 2.5,3,2,11 out of the ram but have had to relax those now to allow for 220fsb
Yup Geil Value so far ive got 2.5-3-4-7 im still playing though

was that at default voltage you got those timings?

Marvt74

Marvt74

HWC Superpi Champion
2.8 i think, or maybe 2.7.

Killing them with 2.9 at the minute though so might not last too long

Associates