SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY, AT THE...oh wait...It's Wednesday (Project 1GHz)

A

AlbinoPenguin

Well...I just got my GFD and tonight I'm gonna see if I can hit a GHz. I'm using air cooling, an Alpha P125 with 60mm Delta fans.

Will keep ya updated.

------------------
Hail Styrofoam!

G

gunk

Want(Need is'nt the word) more info. Post some pics! Pleeze!

------------------
My other OS is a Linux

G

gunk

Want(Need is'nt the word) more info. Post some pics! Pleeze!

------------------
My other OS is a Linux

A

AlbinoPenguin

Woops...heh...sorry...my bad...

I was so eager to get to it

I have an Athlon 700 on an Abit KA7-100. I got the 700 back in January, so I'm guessing it has probably a 700 core(I didn't want to remove the heat transfer plate to check it)

And at the moment I'm a [email protected]

Now goin' for 900...

A

AlbinoPenguin

Tried to from 800 to 900, wouldn't POST completely. Tried 850 and it wouldn't go past the "Verifying DMI Pool Data..." message.

In both cases I tried increasing the voltage of 1.65 to 1.70, then 1.75. Same results.

I'm going to try a few more things...maybe increasing the voltage a little more.

Will keep ya updated.

------------------
Hail Styrofoam!

A

AlbinoPenguin

Alright! I got 850 with no prob once I changed the cache divider from the default 1/2 to 2/5.

Pic:

------------------
Hail Styrofoam!

A

AlbinoPenguin

900MHz would not comletely POST at the default core voltage of 1.65. I tried 1.7, and it almost fully loaded my Windows desktop and startup programs before it froze. I set it at 1.75, and BAM!

I'm running [email protected] right now:

------------------
Hail Styrofoam!

A

AlbinoPenguin

Could not hit 950 at the previous settings. I tried upping the core voltage to 1.80 and 1.85, both froze once they got to my desktop.

Do I need to adjust the I/O voltage? Would that help with anything?

Also, how much voltage is too much voltage?

Awaiting an answer...

------------------
Hail Styrofoam!

R

RAMmyBUS

I would go up to 1.9 and 1.95 to try, sounds like you need more voltage, try upping IO by no more than .1. Dont go past 2 volts core. Sounds like it needs more power I bet you could do it.
0ram

K

kashi80

wowoo..... keep it up

my P3 750 is doing only 840MHz with ALPHA ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

M

Mosherup

AlbinoPenguin, Knock the I/O up to 3.5 and the core up to 1.85. You are approaching the limits of air-cooling(even with an Alpha) at 1.9v. You'll notice that it wil get very hot, very fast if you set it to 1.9v. I've gone all the way up to 3.6 on my I/O and it works fine. 3.5 is going to be necessary if you want to contimue OCing higher. 3.4 I/O is imaginary on the KA7 since setting it there still yeilds 3.3 in the monitor/BIOS. You are going to want to drop your CAS lat down to 3 if you are running 2, regardless(for testing OCing, it's a must). Later you can bump it back up.
Leave all the other CPU settings alone as I have found that they really don't make that much of a difference when trying to push OCing.

Good Luck, and watch those Temps!

------------------
The more I learn, the more I realize I don't know anything at all.

Visit the "Computers" section of my humble website:
www.techcomm.net/~mosherup/index.html

A

AlbinoPenguin

Workin' on it...but I won't really do much til Friday night/the weekend rolls around. I've got plenty of Algebra II homework left to do...off I go...

------------------
Hail Styrofoam!

AUDSCOTT

AUDSCOTT

Way Cool!!

I have my week 11 600 w/700 core at 1 Gig - was running 1040 (104 X 10) using GFD, 1.95 vcore - cooling w/ arctic circle on KA7.

I dropped L2 down to 2/5ths from 1/3rd to run Gig - it is stable.

Have had problems with BIOS though. Beta 42 is stable, but somewhat slower memory bandwidth than RY(beta) or TY (final), but the damned L2 divider in either RY or TY won't stay locked...pisses me off.

Anyway, keep plugging: Mine would't go past 850 at first (burn in maybe), then I got up to 900...not further. But a few weeks at 900 and she gave it up.

------------------
Scott

A

AlbinoPenguin

Update:

Alright. I now have my 700 running at 900, STABLE, with 2/5 cache, 1.75v core, [email protected] and 3.50 I/Ov.

I find this odd: I can hit 900, but when I try to push it to 950 I fail. But then when I try to go back to 900 at these settings it fails. So then I have to sit at 850 for a day or two then it will let me hit 900 again.

Some type of burn in maybe?

I'm gonna let it sit at 900 for a day or two then try to go for 950+.

------------------
Hail Styrofoam!