Summer Holidays ?

D

digitaldog

Still here!
The last holiday I had was 10 days in Poland in October 1996, could do with another holiday sometime but it'll have to wait. For the normal people who take a Summer holiday where are you going this year, abroad or somewhere in your own country or just chilling at home and doing a few vital repairs on the house or if the wife/partner is at work, the computer ? ;)

jimbo1763

jimbo1763

Been staying at home for the most part, but am going to the coast. I love the ocean.

Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones

Administrator
I'm too cheap and broke to go anywhere.... Espicially since I became a home owner... I used to go to Puerto Vallarta all the time... Now I look at one trip like that is the same price to carpet my den and dinning room that I'd rather do:eek:

DanceMan

DanceMan

Procrastinating Member
Stick in the mud here. Staying home and working one or two days a week. The weather here in Vancouver is dreadful. We had a mild wet winter and a cold wet spring (El Nina?). Keep waiting for it to change, but it keeps hanging on. It's normal here for June to be lousy. We usually get a week or two of summer in May, June is poor, then it gets hot in July. Not this year. July has still been damp and cool, occasional sunny or partly sunny days, frequent rain, never really hot.
Just worked the Vancouver Symphony's annual free outdoor concert and for the first time I've worked it over about six or more years, it rained. When sunny it's a great day -- come early with family or friends, a blanket and a picnic dinner, catch the last part of the rehearsal from a good spot close to the stage, have dinner during the break, then enjoy the show. The audience was small but committed. They came early, didn't leave when the rain came, and stuck it out with their umbrellas. Our summer just has not come this year, which must be perplexing for those of you in the middle of the continent or out east roasting in the heat.

U

ua549

I recently returned from a trip to Asia Minor, Greece and the Balkans.
I try to take a minimum of 2 trips a year mostly in the Spring and Autumn.
I stay at home in the Winter to enjoy the beach.

dannyboy27

dannyboy27

Lazy
The weather here in Vancouver is dreadful. We had a mild wet winter and a cold wet spring (El Nina?). Keep waiting for it to change, but it keeps hanging on. It's normal here for June to be lousy. We usually get a week or two of summer in May, June is poor, then it gets hot in July. Not this year. July has still been damp and cool, occasional sunny or partly sunny days, frequent rain, never really hot.
Sounds a bit like the British summer. I always used to have a nice sunny July birthday, but for the past 10 years April or May tend to the best months, and June/July are lousy. Grr, stupid weather...

DanceMan

DanceMan

Procrastinating Member
Just watched the Brit and German Grand Prix. So cold at Nurburgring, which apparently is somewhat elevated, that the hosts were all wearing coats, in the middle of alleged summer. The odd weather is not confined to any one continent.

Less rain here, but still not July hot, and days are still partly cloudy. Good weather for working outside though.

BBC coverage of the GP was awesome. We only get the race itself here in Canada.

dannyboy27

dannyboy27

Lazy
Yeah BBC's F1 coverage is very good indeed. It moved to ITV (the main commercial channel) for about 10 years until 2-3 years ago, but it was awful on ITV. Motor racing and commercial breaks just don't go together - you're guaranteed to miss some crucial overtake or incident.

Sadly from next year, the BBC can only afford to show half the races. This is due to them having to tighten their belts, like everyone else - the licence fee has been frozen for several years and they're laying off a lot of employees. I could live with the races they're losing going back to ITV, but instead that greedy robbing [email protected] Rupert Murdoch has managed to grab them for Sky (satellite).

I do have Sky but I refuse to pay the huge extra premium for Sky sports. It's a shame this has happened just as F1 has become interesting again, with the new rule changes.

M

Martin_89

just back from Lanzarote today actually was awesome, low 30's most days 35c a few days! too hot for me!!

was actually pretty cheap too, i was there for 7 nights with my mrs and we only spent €450 i usually spend €1000 a week on holiday, however im usually away with the guys!

DanceMan

DanceMan

Procrastinating Member
@dannyboy27

The Register has 6 pages of comments on the BBC/Sky F1 issue -- astounding, as it's an IT site. Most agree with you -- they won't be paying for Sky's coverage.

July here in Vancouver was a bust for hot weather. We had less rain than the previous months, but little really hot summer weather.

Associates