Suggestion only....

pacifier

pacifier

ProArt
greetings HWC... :)

i have a suggestion in here... since we are posting for so many times here to gather useful information, why don't the Admin / Mods think about the pointing system.

once the member post a good one we will assign a points to him. Like Positive and Negative. So that there will be a ranking here...

How about that? just only a suggestions...

cheers :D

wrathchild_67

wrathchild_67

Hidden Member
I would much prefer a reputation system. If you want a points system, go to Experts-Exchange and buy them.

Shervie2

Shervie2

wrathchild_67 said:
If you want a points system, go to Experts-Exchange and buy them.
I agree 100% there. Dont care for that site/forum in the least. I'll take reputation over points all day.

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Causes way more trouble than it could ever be worth. You get people complaining everytime they get negative rep points, it causes arguments, clannish behavior on the forums, you get people giving positive points to their friends for no reason, and negative points to those they dislike, again for no reason.

Anyone spending any amount of time on a forum very quickly learns who is respected and who isn't. The reputation system is a very artificial means of trying to do that.

glussier

glussier

Anyone spending any amount of time on a forum very quickly learns who is respected and who isn't. The reputation system is a very artificial means of trying to do that.
I'm with you on that.

wrathchild_67

wrathchild_67

Hidden Member
I was thinking reputation without human intervention. An algorithm derived from membership length, post count and message length. That way there would be no negative points. Such an algorithm is probably beyond what vBulletin provides in its stats.

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
But that's not making any qualitative decisions in any way. Just means someone's been around here a long time, in which case the join date and post total already provide that. Someone could stay here 5 yrs, post a lot of lengthy drivel and have a high rep.

wrathchild_67

wrathchild_67

Hidden Member
glussier said:
Message lengt, in no way guarantees the quality of a post.
It's not strictly about quality. When all factors I mentioned are brought together, the post length provides weight to the score, but is not the main determining factor.

For example, spammers who violate the AUP will have their comments locked and they may be banned, thus they don't factor into the equation. Now there's another type of spammer, someone who posts just to post without violating AUP. Oftentimes they just reiterate/paraphrase a suggestion or opinion that someone else has previously stated in the thread. Almost always this type of poster never produces lengthy posts. Assuming a regular rankings system like some other forums have implemented, the AUP abiding spammer would still increase in rank off of junk comments since it is based totally off post count.

As for the comment about account age playing a heavy role in the reputation- you're assuming that that factor has a dominant weight in the equation. It's merely one factor.

What I'm thinking of is kind of like Bayesian filtering, except higher scores don't imply spam, but just the opposite, and thus a better reputation. Like I said, the kind of thing I have in mind is probably beyond vBulletin's capabilities.

chetmichaels

chetmichaels

Peon in training
have mods make questions like when google put up billboards to hire folks. those who solve more problems get higher rankings. then of course the mods who made up the questions know the answers so they get rank of pimp daddy :D

Associates