Sound card for Surround System

B

BorutBolcina

I want to know what kind of a sound card and hi-fi components do I need to listen, for example Unreal (or Wing Commander IV which is, I believe, first computer game that supports surround), in surround music mode. I understand that surround sound needs 5 speakers (Sony RX-100 ProLogic), but how is then sound card connected to hi-fi? How many wires?

Thank you.

N

NUKE

YOU CAN USE THE SOUNDBLASTER 128 PCI AND THE
CREATIVES SPEAKERS.
THAT HAVE FOUR SPEAKERS OUTPUT AND AN EXELENT SOUND

X

XkALiBRe

Id say go for the soundblaster Live!. This card will play anything designed for surround sound, and will also play older games on 4 speakers. (this isnt true surround sound, it just dubs the front channels to the rear ones as well). If you want good speakers, the Cambridge/Creative Labs 4-point surround things are good, but the subwoofer sucks. Trust me on that one. If youve got money, BOSE makes an absolutely amazing set of speakers, only 2 mind you, but you can afford to have cheaper smaller speakers in the rear. Or, if you dont want to spend that kind of cash, you could go for an Altec Lansing set. I think they make 4 speaker systems now too. I have altecs myself, theyre very nice.

DM

Associates