Sooooo

jimbo1763

jimbo1763

It's going to be really interesting. I have been playing around with the preview and tried the upgrade option on a cloned hard drive with Windows 7. The upgrade really did go fine. What I learned, though, and as I should have anticipated, some of my peripherals won't run on Windows 10-driver issues. So, unless I want to upgrade my printers and my scanner, etc, I guess I stick with Windows 7 (and it certainly ain't broke for what I use it for).

What I have thought about doing is a dual boot configuration. I have likewise tried that on the cloned drive alongside Windows 7 and that has worked fine. Getting back to an issue I raised earlier in another thread, though, I am unclear about how licensing is going to work. By that I mean, will I be able to do a dual boot or will it say that I have to have one flavor or the other? I am not sure whether the Windows 10 version is going to require the use of my Windows 7 license or whether it will come with its own activation key.

I guess time will tell. I really would like to run both, but I am not willing or able to lose my Windows 7 capability.

DanceMan

DanceMan

Procrastinating Member
Tried the RTM on one laptop. Not as bad as 8.1, not as good as 7 for navigation and usefulness. And frankly the appearance of it made me think of a 10 year old linux distro. Not being able to turn off Automatic Updating (you can choose to delay restarts but not the downloading) is a major defect. May be okay for most users but when I have a laptop away from home I want control over what it does and when it does it. I have a couple that are generally only used at work.

glussier

glussier

I think that windows 10 is better than 7, 8 and 8.1. I had no problem installing windows 10 on my Dell xps 13 2014 and Dell Inspiron 15R end of 2013. I said I had no problem, but, on the Dell Inspiron, I had to run the fixit tool for the Microsoft update utility. s

I'll test these 2 laptops for a couple of weeks, and, if there are no problem, I will also install on my new Dell xps 13 2015 non touch, Dell Venue 8 Pro and my new Microsoft Surface 3.

As for your problem Huge, delete the $WINDOWS._BT and rerun Microsoft Update. ddd

Last edited:
Huge

Huge

Why am I still doing up?
Actually not me; this was making the rounds today. :)

I'll probably upgrade 6 months down the road. Want them to iron out the bugs until then.

Ugh, updating an old w7 laptop that hasn't been updated in almost a year. Took 45 minutes to figure out what updates it needed and another hour to install them. :(

And if you want to watch some hideous MS Windows promos...

Last edited:
glussier

glussier

Thanks for the memories Huge!!! :) Not only for the videos, but I just realised that I hadn't visited xibase since 2001, lol, and I could even remember my password. :)

glussier

glussier

Probably Balmer. Remember that this guy was with Microsoft since the Beginning. He is a close friend of Bill Gates. :)

Associates