Software mirror workaround in Win2k Pro?

• Thread starter deltree_windows
  • Start date
deltree_windows

deltree_windows

Computer Newbie
I bought a pair of 160GB drives for a raid mirror to replace a filled and aging 80GB single data drive. Sadly, I discover my RAID card does not support LBA so it chops off the array at 128GB. I then sadly discover Win2000 Professional does not allow software mirroring. My motherboard does not have an onboard RAID controller.

I don't want to buy a new RAID card. I definitely don't want to buy a 3rd party software RAID solution. I most assuredly don't want to buy a new OS for this one function.

Are there any options whatsoever? I just want simple redundancy!

Shinma

Shinma

deltree_windows said:
... I don't want to buy a new RAID card. I definitely don't want to buy a 3rd party software RAID solution. I most assuredly don't want to buy a new OS ...
Not aware of options.

deltree_windows

deltree_windows

Computer Newbie
TurtleMan said:
Maybe this will help? Some softraid options available in W2K:

Enable RAID-1 in W2K

Enable RAID-5 in W2K

t-man
The article doesn't mention it, but those options are available in 2000 Server only. Any redundancy in soft arrays is disabled in 2000 Professional.

The two options I am pondering are :
1) Soft-RAID them as a data drive on a separate linux server and mount the array over samba.
2) Bite the bullet and use the cut-down 128GB limitation of the RAID card as it is still a 50% capacity increase.

I'm leaning towards #2 because the other would require me to not toy around on the linux server. I don't think I could ever just leave it be.

wrathchild_67

wrathchild_67

Hidden Member
I'll post back later today if the method for hacking RAID into Windows 2000 Pro is the same as Windows XP Pro. I have access to Windows 2000 Pro and Server machines. I'll see if there is a difference in dmboot.sys, dmadmin.exe, and dmconfig.dll. If there is, I'll post the offsets you need to edit on the Win2k Pro files.

wrathchild_67

wrathchild_67

Hidden Member
Well I looked into it. Unlike with Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 where you can edit some text in three files that are a part of Logical Disk Manager and make them think you're running the server version, Windows 2000's disk manager seems to read a registry key that defines whether the OS is a workstation or a server. I tried changing this value oflline and then replacing it over the existing key, but Windows just blue screens and gives a SYSTEM_LICENSE_VIOLATION error. I don't think you can hack in RAID support in Win2k Pro, or at least it's way beyond my capabilities.

deltree_windows

deltree_windows

Computer Newbie
Interestingly enough, the 80GB drive completely died before I figured out what I wanted to do with the mirror and I lost everything anyway. Corrupt firmware, bad BIOS ID, clicks, beeps, the works. Impeccable timing

Associates