SoF: requires a kickass system to run well??

V

VanDamage

Allright guys Im gonna bring this fps thing up again... Now im gonna get a Voodoo 3 2000 PCI for my AMD k6 200 mhz, 64 mb ram just to be able to play Soldier of Fortune, but after my earlier posts and questions about how many fps you guys get, I see that people with P3 700 mhz, 128 mb ram's and 32 mb grahpic cards gets around 35 fps at most.
Now will I get 4-5 fps with my system then??Or will I get somewhat over 20 fps or something (everything low or medium detail, 640x480 resolution).

A

AthlonOverclocker

As I said before that processor's a real bottleneck to your system, i would really reccomend upgrading it.
I tried running Sof on my other pc (as it's similar to yours - p200mmx, 48mb ram, v2) and i got bad performance (10 - 15fps) with everything on medium and 640x480, but with everything on low i get low 20's. Hope this helps, i'd try finding a few people with similar setups and ask them.

------------------
Athlon [email protected],Abit Ka7, 128mb PC100, 12mb Voodoo 2, 17" Sony Monitor, SB Live.
Check Out: www.selective-auto.co.uk

Huge

Huge

Why am I still doing up?
It's come to a point where when new games come out, a p5 is not going to cut it to play unfortunately. Even though you might meet the minimum specs, the game will perform horribly. You could probably upgrade to a new mobo/celery processor for under $200.

zodder

zodder

Suedehead
Huge is right. That machine might be able to surf, run Office apps, or run Linux, but as a gaming machine it sucks.
Time for an upgrade. Weren't you upgrading soon? There are about 300 threads from you about which components to buy..

A

aug1516

My friend is able to play SOF just fine, he has a K6-2 400, a Voodoo 3 and 64mb ram.

Mephisto

Mephisto

Originally posted by aug1516:
My friend is able to play SOF just fine, he has a K6-2 400, a Voodoo 3 and 64mb ram.
Yes, don't forget, SoF is a game based on the Q2 engine. No need for a high-end system for THIS game...

------------------
DirectX-Files... The truth must be somewhere!

V

VanDamage

Mephisto, you're the man!!
I knew there was something similar with Q2... no need of kickass system

Meph, how many fps do you THINK I'd get with my system? Im the happiest person in the life if I'd get 25 fps in SoF!!

D

dimme

VanDamage, don't get your hopes on it too much though. I have a k6-2 500 with 196MB SDRAM and a V3 2K running at 175MHz and a PCI busspeed of 41.5MH´z and the frame rates can drop quite a bit sometimes and can run a little choppy. But when the frame rates rise, they do rise quite a lot, too.

------------------
Never mind the dog, beware of the owner.

A

Adrenelin

k6-2-500, 32mb dimm, v2. good enough for me

------------------
"The More I Discover The Lesser I Know"

Adrenelin, a.d. 2000

A

AthlonOverclocker

I doubt that you would get 30fps, because of your processor, remember that your pc is only as fast as your slowest component, which in your case is your cpu, I think your average fps would be around 20 and not 30, that processor is extremely out dated now, and is not up to running many of todays latest games, although Sof is based on the Q2 engine, it is an advanced Q2 engine and with lots going on it needs a fast pc to keep those fps up, even with my pc i get some slight slowdowns because my v2 isn't up to it (soon to change with a GTS
), but i can run Q2 in excess of 60fps constantly. Hope this helps you.

------------------
Athlon [email protected],Abit Ka7, 128mb PC100, 12mb Voodoo 2, 17" Sony Monitor, SB Live.
Check Out: www.selective-auto.co.uk

S

Salt

Yes, don't forget, SoF is a game based on the Q2 engine. No need for a high-end system for THIS game...
SOF uses a HEAVILY MODIFIED Q2 engine. The base renderer is the same, but they gutted the rest of it (including adding the GHOUL rendering and lighting engine, locational damage, much richer textures and higher poylgon-count models).

You will need a better comp than the one listed abouve to run it.

------------------
Salt
Debaser.

V

VanDamage

Jesus christ..
30-40 people on ICQ says I should get around 30-40 fps, while some says I should get 5 fps or something.
I think Im gonna buy an AMD k6-2 500 mhz, new mobo for it and a Voodoo 3 3000 PCI instead of 2000. Isnt this BETTER?

F

fls

I've got a Penitum II 300 MHZ with 128mbram and a Viper 550 (TNT) running on it.
I can play it very well and it's not at low definition!!!
So I don't think you must have a high-end machine.

G

gameface

Please dont tell me your going to buy this game....it sucks bad. Sure it may seem fun in the beginning but after a few levels you'll get real bored and realize this game is crap. Yeah I am running this game at over 60fps with a [email protected] and tnt2 175/163.
Sometimes, rarely it will go down to 50fps. And I got my abit Vh6 and cpu for less then 200 bucks (what a bargain huh)

[This message has been edited by gameface (edited 09-03-2000).]

C

Cypress7

gameface <--- agree with this guy. SOF sucks. Sure the first time you play, its fun. But it gets boring fast, soon after you beat the first level

Associates