So who's getting a Threadripper?

Huge

Huge

Why am I still doing up?
I would but since I game 90%+ of the time, it really isn't meant for me. Thinking of a 1700x or 7820k.

Last edited by a moderator:
glussier

glussier

Bof, I'm not going for AMD just yet. I already have a dual e5-2690 2.9ghz (Turbo boost to 3.8ghz) dual 8 cores 32threads. I think, I'll keep the xeon, i still have to let it depreciate a little before into building another desktop. Plus, I like Intel chipsets better.

glussier

glussier

Hey, Justintime. long time no see. :) Believe-it or not, I had a few AMD cpus in my past, a k6-2-500 and an xp 1700+. Remember OneEng? He must be happy with AMD these days. :)

Note that Coffee Lake will be released in a few months, so you might be able to get a 6 cores/12 threads intel processor for the price of a quad core/8 threads today. Plus it's suppose to be up to 30% faster than kaby lake core for core. So, you might want to wait just before Christmas before committing to anything.

Last edited:
Justintime

Justintime

Hey, Justintime. long time no see. :) Believe-it or not, I had a few AMD cpus in my past, a k6-2-500 and an xp 1700+. Remember OneEng? He must be happy with AMD these days. :)

Note that Coffee Lake will be released in a few months, so you might be able to get a 6 cores/12 threads intel processor for the price of a quad core/8 threads today. Plus it's suppose to be up to 30% faster than kaby lake core for core. So, you might want to wait just before Christmas before committing to anything.
lol i know i hardly check any computer forums last few yrs.. Not upgrading for awhile, currently have a 5820K @ 4.5Ghz with Sli 980tis as my main games machine hooked up to a 55" 4K TV. Have a xeon 1155 quad for my workstation, think 1225? with 32gb ECC

ahs89

ahs89

I am confused between getting a threadripper and mobo or on the other hand ryzen 2 with a good GPU probably 1080 or something similar. can anyone suggest me what to do?

Technoplume

Technoplume

Old tread resurrected, any way. The official answer to a question like this is always, what are you planning to do with it ?
But my personnal experience with Hardware has taught me to never buy new equipement when it comes out the factory. They might be nice goodies, but the software usually takes a year to follow. just thinking a few year back when my bud put 3k in a PC with 2 770 lightning to do some SLI gamming. Turn out none of the SLI certified games work well on his top of the line rig. Against my advice to not get the 770 at a nice price tag of 450$ each. He ended up making a other PC the year after for 1/2 the price with a 1080 and run all the games better then the original matching year hardware.

I own a Sabertooth 1st gen with a 8300 FX 8 core and recently up the vid card to 770 lightning from my friends. From a 560ti, and to be honest, there'S nothing I do that require the full power of my 8 core, still to this date. War thunder updated there video to 4k recently I had to drop the setting a bit, but it'S the only game so far that lags on my rig. That is 6 year old or more.

Associates