Simple USB to Ethernet question...?

markjs

markjs

Vlad The Impaler
I already asked this in my other thread but I am thinking it may have escaped notice so this is for the most part a cut and paste because I'd like to find out the answer with haste!

I recently purchased a USB ethernet device, and much to my surprise it is USB 1.1 (it never occurred to me it wouldn't be 2.0). I am pretty sure I remember hearing that a cable modem doesn't exceed 10MB/S anyway (USB 1.1 is 12MB/S?). I know if I was sending files over my home network this damn thing would be slow as hell, but for connectivity to the internet will I see any difference? I'd just test it but it is still in one of those bubble packs from Newegg and I am still considering sending it back.

Oh and my cable modem is a Linksys and is DOCSIS 2.0 compliant if that makes any difference. I also run a Vonage (single) device which is unfortunately a router and then a 4 port Belkin wireless router. In fact this is my specific modem although I don't see anywhere that it is easy to find out that particular tidbit of info....

Oddly though the modem model number matches but it looks nothing like the one pictured. It has that same ugly blue look of most of their routers I have learned to hate so much!

Thanks in advance!

markjs

markjs

Vlad The Impaler
....I am pretty sure I remember hearing that a cable modem doesn't exceed 10MB/S anyway (USB 1.1 is 12MB/S?). I know if I was sending files over my home network this damn thing would be slow as hell, but for connectivity to the internet will I see any difference? I'd just test it but it is still in one of those bubble packs from Newegg and I am still considering sending it back.....
Not to sound ungrateful, but this tells me nothing I didn't already know! What I need to know is if it is fast enough that it will not effect the speed of an internet connection with a standard DOCSIS 2.0 cable modem.

Shinma

Shinma

The fine print:
...and 12 Mbit/s (Full-Speed)... Few such devices actually made it to market.

Better make sure that the device in question is actually Full-Speed.

Shinma

Shinma

Short answer,
Order of preference: PCI-E network card then PCI network card.

If one is required to use USB networking hardware for whatever reason, then USB 2.0

markjs

markjs

Vlad The Impaler
I think I am just not going to get this question answered at all. I KNOW (and already did know) all about what is faster and what order. What I don't know, and would like to know, but doubt I ever will know (without just checking on my own), is will the USB 1.1 Ethernet device bottleneck the internet connection?!? I remember hearing a long time ago that it didn't matter what the network interface's speed was because the cable modem itself cannot pump data out any faster than 10 Mbits/s anyway. I have looked at the information on the modem to try and figure it out to no avail. I guess I am just going to open this stupid thing up and do my own testing since I cannot seem to get an answer or perhaps it is that I cannot seem to convey the question I want answered. I'll post my findings. I suppose it won't be too bad of a loss because there are always occasions where this thing might come in handy even if it's a bit slow.....

Associates