Should the General Tech Talk & Support forum be renamed?

dannyboy27

dannyboy27

Lazy
The main reason for these forums is obviously for people to post requests for technical advice. Naturally people tend to post these in the 'General Tech Talk & Support' Forum.

However, with the new forum structure which came in last year it now seems that most of these threads get moved to the relevant dedicated forum (e.g. hard drives, CPU's, etc).

I've no problem with mods moving these threads to their relevant forums, but it does seem to make the "support" bit of the General forum a little redundant now. How about renaming this forum simply to "General Tech Talk" ? Many people, particularly new members, see the word "support" and understandably think that's the correct place to post their problem.

Just my two pence worth :)

wonderinguy34

wonderinguy34

Restless Nocturne
Alot of people aren't going to know what forum to put their question in though,they just know the computers not working .The support forum is working as sort of a clearing house where they can explain their problem and once its narrowed down it can be moved to the appropriate forum.I imagine for some people not knowing whats wrong with their system is frustrating enough ,but then to have to figure out what Forum they need to post the questions is ,would be too much.

Just my opinion.

DanceMan

DanceMan

Procrastinating Member
but then to have to figure out what Forum they need to post the questions is ,would be too much.
I agree. Often people are guessing at the wrong component anyway. Removing a catch-all forum could lead to more double-posting by newbies.

dannyboy27

dannyboy27

Lazy
I agree on that, but then why move some threads but not others. Surely either that's the support forum or it isn't?

Shinma

Shinma

wonderinguy34 said:
Alot of people aren't going to know what forum to put their question in though,they just know the computers not working .The support forum is working as sort of a clearing house where they can explain their problem and once its narrowed down it can be moved to the appropriate forum.I imagine for some people not knowing whats wrong with their system is frustrating enough ,but then to have to figure out what Forum they need to post the questions is ,would be too much.

Just my opinion.
Ditto.
There are also those requiring multiple components in one question.
eg. Complete new system build suggestions.

T

Toolbox

Quantum Physics
When we actually made the changes late last year, all us mods and admins did it together carefully looking over the different forum names. By the time we finally made changes, a two or three week period had already gone by with all the different suggestions.

The structure you see now is what 14 people all thought would be best. We hope that you understand that this is the way it is until a coupe of years odwn the road when the forum structure needs change again.

Thanks for writing in. :)

krupted

krupted

dannyboy27 said:
The main reason for these forums is obviously for people to post requests for technical advice. Naturally people tend to post these in the 'General Tech Talk & Support' Forum.

However, with the new forum structure which came in last year it now seems that most of these threads get moved to the relevant dedicated forum (e.g. hard drives, CPU's, etc).

I've no problem with mods moving these threads to their relevant forums, but it does seem to make the "support" bit of the General forum a little redundant now. How about renaming this forum simply to "General Tech Talk" ? Many people, particularly new members, see the word "support" and understandably think that's the correct place to post their problem.

Just my two pence worth :)

i agree with this 100%. 'general tech talk' would still include things like system builds, and i would hope people are smart enough to read the little subtitles to see what each forum includes.

maybe a change for next time, but for now it almost seems the mods like having to move many of the posts...

Dngrsone

Dngrsone

As long as it isn't a big problem for the mods, I don't see any reason for changing it. If anything, it acts like a triage for n00b's problems, to be distributed to the appropriate forum.

Associates