Self-built computer -Black screen

sneakers

sneakers

Middling experienced user
Bon Jovi didn't invent it. My Jewish mother used to say that. It's part of Jewish Mother "Woe is Me" Syndrome, and a very old joke. You'll see it in Woody Allen's Hannah and her Sisters and possibly Crimes and Misdemeanors.

The bottom linet: I probably damaged the CPU myself by not having the fan/sink flat. Those pegs are not a problem just with me. :( It's part of learning, unfortunately. I had these old clunkers for far too long, and wasn't careful. But I feel better knowing what the disease is, doctor, rather than wondering.

Look, I paid $200 for the whole thing because that's what I could afford (see my original post.) If it costs me little more now for better fan or whatever, I'm still ahead of the game. Dell wanted $450 for a comp with XP, not even any programs, and I avoid their comps like the plague anyway. I have a good backup system and a backup comp. Life doesn't come with a warranty.

I just went to a funny page at one of the computer mags where users were asked to tell how they screwed their computers through stupidity or carelessness. The answers, even from experienced users, were varied, amazing and some incredible. The article goes on to how to avoid each one of those mistakes. Midknyte, I know you're in the business, so maybe you wouldn't it funny. But we're all human, and we have to laugh at ourselves and the foibles we have in common. Maybe you would screw up with carpentry or painting rooms, something I do professionally.

Why DO you people (men and women?) spend so much time volunteering here, and probably at other forums too? I help others at forums, but I'm not immersed in it all day as a profession. Don't you have enough aggravation with your clients? Can you give me an answer without a joke?

And, BTW, Shinma, you just helped me at another forum where I use a diff ID. You DO get around.

sneakers

sneakers

Unless you want to go out and buy diagnostic software, there aren't a whole lot of freebies specifically for CPUs..
OK. It's hard to build anything on my budget.

You'll want to look for one that doesn't use the same mounting pins, since you had so much trouble with them. In general, bigger is better. However, you need to make sure it will fit in your case.
The case is huge, intentionally because of all the knucklebusters I've had. And now I know about mounting it outside the case.

jimbo1763

jimbo1763

Bon Jovi didn't invent it.

Why DO you people (men and women?) spend so much time volunteering here, and probably at other forums too? I help others at forums, but I'm not immersed in it all day as a profession. Don't you have enough aggravation with your clients?
I know, but my son used to play a Bon Jovi song about that constantly, so that is what I thought of.

As to the other, frankly I enjoy it. I am by trade a business lawyer, not a computer technician at all, but this really satisfies the inner engineer in me. I get plenty of aggravation from my business clients, so this is stress relief as much as anything.

Glad you are around, sneakers.

sneakers

sneakers

OK, but Midknyte does it professionally. Thanks, I'm glad I'm around too. I use about 10 computer forums, including VirtualDr, mozillazine, linksys, bigblueball.com, and help others too. Are you on any others?

I went through double aggravation, because when I moved this old comp to this desk, because of the larger monitor, I also lost my internet connection, and spent hours on the phone to India with Verizon, then posted THAT problem on a few other forums. One comp down, the other with no internet. It's enough to send you to Arkham Asylum. And just checked that out; it' s fictional, from Batman (!!!???) Here we say Bellevue, a famous mental hospital in NYC.

Solution:I'm getting a switch instead of my router, since I'm not on wireless.

Associates