Seagate announces 160 GB perpendicular notebook hard drive

jankerson

jankerson

Super Moderator
Seagate today announced its first commercial hard drive that uses perpendicular recording technology. The new 2.5" form factor Momentus 5400.3 drive stores 160 GB on two platters and will be available in volume in February.
Story HERE

Hoyle

Hoyle

Very nice looking drive! And I'm partial to Seagate too (since their drives don't often die on me!)

That's probably the drive I'll use next time a buy a laptop and strip the lousy stock drive out of it.

jankerson

jankerson

Super Moderator
Hoyle said:
Very nice looking drive! And I'm partial to Seagate too (since their drives don't often die on me!)

That's probably the drive I'll use next time a buy a laptop and strip the lousy stock drive out of it.

Oh I know, I started drooling when I read about it. :D

krupted

krupted

exactly. hasnt this been posted yet? maybe i just read it elsewhere.

but thats what i think of. we have 500gb drives now, implement this perpendicular stuff and no reason we cant finally have that one terabyte. then i think of the day those drive only run $50. and we sarcasticly say, what can you do with a terabyte drive? and we throw it out, snickering how drives actually used to be rated in gigabytes haha.

jankerson

jankerson

Super Moderator
krupted said:
snickering how drives actually used to be rated in gigabytes haha.

How about when HDs where in Megabites? :D

I still have a few 250mb and smaller Hard drives around.

ThreeOnTheTree

ThreeOnTheTree

I wonder how much faster these are than conventional (legacy?) storage. The extra density has to help access speeds, right?

jankerson

jankerson

Super Moderator
ThreeOnTheTree said:
I wonder how much faster these are than conventional (legacy?) storage. The extra density has to help access speeds, right?

You would think it would, but I haven't seen any reviews on it yet.

Associates