SB Live vs. Diamond MX300

D

DRC

Anyone have any advice on which PCI card to get this X-Mas for a gaming system? I have heard some good things about the Diamond card, and that it has support for SB's API as well as A3D. Is this true? If so why is it less expensive? Anyone? Beuller?

G

Geoff

SBLive has all the bells and whistles basically. And carries a price tag to match. Unless you're actually planning to use all of those features, you're better off going with something cheaper. I can guarantee you that you won't tell the difference between a SBLive and an MX300 in terms of sound quality, especially if you have a mediocre pair of speakers (like 98% of all multimedia computers in the world today). Go the MX300, you won't be disappointed.

C

collinj

Diamonds card does not support sound blasters api, but the sound blaster live emulates a3d 1.0. If you dont need all the "bells and whistles" the sound blaster live also comes in a value edition that is 1/2 the price of the full version of the card. Creative is gearing this card towards gamers, with the full version card geared towards music professionals. The sound blaster live card was given a 10/kick ass product award by Maximum Pc Magazine, and was their choice for sound card of the year bar none. No other sound card came close. Also, more and more vendors are jumping on with creatives api, so alot more games will be released soon, or converted to directly use its api. Another thing with the sound blaster live, it will use its environmental audio with any games that use direct sound, to enhance the game experience. The mx-300 does not do this. Feature for feature, the sb-live is definetly a better card all around. It also has full legacy support, whereas the mx line from diamond has required a second sound card for legacy software. The mx 300 will suposedly have legacy real mode support, that will remain to be seen..
The msrp of the live:
Canada: 169
USA: 99
The msrp of the mx-200:
Canada: 200
USA: 149
The msrp of the mx-300 has yet to be anounced.

C

collinj

Sorry, that was the msrp of the live value edition card. The full pop version of the live card with the digital i/o expansion is $199

R

rvand

I have absolutely no idea want collinj is talking about!!!!! Maybe he didn't do his homework before responding but the person asking was clearly asking about the MX300 (which has been released!), not the MX200! For the record's sake, the MX300 does support the EAX API. All Environmental Audio is is an extension of the the Microsoft DirectSound/DirectSound3d Library. The MX300 has full compatibility with DirectSound/3d, so it does fully support EAX. It also supports full hardware acceleration of both A3D 1.0 and 2.0. The MX300 is everything that the SoundBlaster Live Value is and much more! Next time collinj, do your homework before responding!

rvand

C

collinj

Im sorry, but I did my homework, but apparently you did not.

At the time I posted my reply, the mx-300 had not been released, it has been now.

The mx-300 does NOT support EAX, goto www.diamondmm.com and look at the tech specs of the card and the api support. It may support direct sound3d, and EAX may be an extension of this, but the sound hardware has to be able to process this. The mx-300 cannot do this, and if you go to diamonds site, there is no mention or refrence to EAX at all.

That is like saying the riva tnt supports texture compression... The tnt card does NOT support texture compression. Texture compression is built into direct x 6.0, but the video hardware has to be able to support it.

I did my homework, now its time for you to do yours.

C

collinj

Driver revisions may give the Mx-300 EAX emulation, but dont bet on it sounding good.

R

rvand

Let me point you to this review, and you can make your own judgements...

http://www.agnhardware.com/hardwaresection/default.cfm?revid=57

Let me quote...
"But at the same time EAX is an open standard and the MX300 will support that API as well next year."

Now you were saying...what?

R

rvand

In case that wasn't enough, here's a little more...

http://www.sharkyextreme.com/hardware/diamond_mx300/

"What's really nice to see though is the EAX extensions of MS DirectSound3D being fully supported via hardware, so MX300 owners won't ever be left out in the cold regarding a lack of 3D-audio support in any game/title for 1999."

Any questions?

R

rvand

Also, the third page of the Sharky Extreme review is all about the EAX support. See what they say about the quality of it...

U

usmc

DRC just saw your question. Don't know if this will help but here goes. The difference between the SB Live and the value Live is the digital I/O capabilities, one has it and one doesn't... pretty simple. The difference between the two in price is about 26~30 dollars. I found both SB live versions at Killerapps.com for 71.95 and 99.95.Get the full blown Live if your a musician, if not the "value". As for Diamond, the companies always made good products but trust me in the long run, industry wise, you'll do better with the Soundblaster. To me when someone says that it's compatible to something else... well, I usually figure that that something else is probably what I should be getting...soundblaster"compatible" get it? Just my opinion though. FYI I have a 64AWE, but two of my friends have SB lives, and the "live" sounds great.Then again my SB64AWE sounds great too but I've got a great set of speakers and a subwoofer. Remember, this statement I believe is true in anything in life... Your chain is only as strong as its weakest link. I.E. $1000 soundcard and $3 Labtec speakers = $3 sound. Balance is the key.

V

vipervw

sblive value is probably the best value at this point and if you add the sound works
fourpoint speaker system there is no comparison to the mx300
but if you want to stick with 2 speakers then the mx300 does a better job at handling 3d on 2 than 4

K

Kyrono

I found a nice little review on SB LIVE, MX-300 and Sonic Impact s90 per haps it may help!
http://www.fastgraphics.com/reviews/98/12/sound/index.html

P

Postman

Guys, Guys it so simple (well of couse it's not but if you...) want to kik-ass sound in Half-Live and some other upcoming A3D2 titles(If you get lacky to get MX300 to work) and thats all you care, then buy MX300. If you plan to play the rest of the games with or without EAX (preferebly with EAX
, as well as listening to some midi, don't want to reboot very often and don't want to join some online comunity, goal of which to at least shake out some dicent drivers from Diamond, then buy SB Live! Value.

Z

Zakar

Comparing the two cards is like comparing the TNT and VoodooII. One may be stronger in one thing, and one may be stronger in the other.

For me, I have a set of Yamaha speakers and a subwoofer, I also have the MX300. The 3d immulation is awesome. My advice, find a way to try out each sound card with a set of speakers similar to yours. Try various games; and then after much consideration, pick the card that best suits you. If you listen to biased opinions you get screwed. Either way, you really cant go wrong with a Live or MX300!

Associates