running very low on diskspace on local disk

M

marei

I'm still running windows XP. Now I encountert a problem with my disk space. I removed already many files and i got same space back. Now 3 days later the same problem again. Even I try to unistall same programs it is not possible. I deleted a lot of e-mails, bot nothing changed. I don't no anymore what to do, maybe i have to buy i new computer.

Help me please

jimbo1763

jimbo1763

What is the size of your current hard drive, and how full is it? Have you run programs like Ccleaner to get rid of all of your temp files and to clear your internet cache? They can take up some room.

If nothing else, it may be time to get a bigger hard drive.

DanceMan

DanceMan

Procrastinating Member
And at the risk of stating the obvious, don't forget to empty your recycle bin. I've had issues with external usb drives that give a "not enough space" message after I've deleted files, until I've emptied the recycle bin on the drive to get rid of them permanently.

Huge

Huge

Why am I still doing up?
And at the risk of stating the obvious, don't forget to empty your recycle bin. I've had issues with external usb drives that give a "not enough space" message after I've deleted files, until I've emptied the recycle bin on the drive to get rid of them permanently.
+1

M

marei

I did all of this things, running cc cleaner etc. 3 days ago after I cleant up everything I hat some room and now is full again. Something is wrong and I don't no where. No i can't open my default e-mail folder. I get message "server is not available".
In my Kaspersky Internet Security I get message "protection components: malfunction" Recommend reinstall, unknown error.

Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
How big is your drive and how much space is left?
You still didn't say how big your drive is.

Do you use hibernation? If not, you can get rid of the hiberfil.sys file.

How much ram does your system have? How big is your pagefile?

Did you check the option in CCleaner to remove hotfix uninstallers?

Of course, you should make a backup of your system before you start messing with system files.

It sounds like you have problems other than disk space. If Kaspersky says to reinstall, try that.

M

marei

ok, my Disk Space = 186 GB, Free space 0
file System = NTFS
I don't found any hiberfil.sys files
Computer. Intel (R)
Pentium (R) 4CPU 3.00 GHZ
3.00 GHZ, 1.00 GB of Ram
i try to remove programs with CCleaner, what is the hotfix uninstaller?
I found Drive Wiper on CCleaner, I got message again there is not enough space on the disk

jimbo1763

jimbo1763

There should be a box to check under the Windows Disk Cleanup utility (right click on the icon for your C drive, go to Properties/Disk Cleanup for Windows Update cleanup. Those update backups can take up a lot of room.

Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
186GB full? I'm guessing you have your OS and DATA on the same drive. WinXP doesn't use that much space.

You should try something like TreeSize free to see what is using up the disk space.
http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/index.shtml

Hotfixes aka Windows updates:
https://www.raymond.cc/blog/safely-remove-windows-xp-update-backup-files-to-free-up-hard-disk-space/
In CCleaner, go to Advanced and check the Hotfix Uninstallers box.

Do you have hibernation enabled or not? Check power management.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-xp/help/setup/configure-power-management

Drive Wiper is to clear the FREE SPACE. That will not help you in this situation.

M

marei

hibernation is not enabled.
CCleaner, in Adcanced there is no hotfixuninstaller
I can't download anything, there is not enough space!

but I iust regonized when I went on this website there is this little messages in the left corner, and it gos very fast like:
transfering data from www.pupads or pagead2 or apis etc. is this normal

Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
but I iust regonized when I went on this website there is this little messages in the left corner, and it gos very fast like:
transfering data from www.pupads or pagead2 or apis etc. is this normal
It sounds like you might have a virus or malware. When was the last time you scanned your drive? What AV and antimalware are you running?

Is there any data you can temporarily move off to an external drive? We can't do much if you can't run the tools we tell you to use.

M

marei

Hi, I'm back again, sorry I was away. I removed same data to on external drive. I will rtestard my computer now, and i will see what message Iwill get.

M

marei

running low on diskspace

i removed same files to my e-drive. I update kaspersky, after update I get message again, about running out of disk space. At least Kaspersky is update. I run a full scan nothing detected. I try update Malwarebytes, again the same running very low on disk space so I'm not able to update. I let run without update and he found one Tread i removed. How I can find out what is going on.
Thanks for any help

Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
Did you run TreeSizeFree like i mentioned earlier?
You should try something like TreeSize free to see what is using up the disk space.
http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/index.shtml
You can download the zipped version, extract it, and run it from a flash drive. You need to find out what is taking up the space. Then you can delete or move the files.

I suspect that Malwarebytes will find other threats once updated.

M

marei

running very low on disk space

I can't download anything, I get message running low on disk space. Should i try to uninstall kaspersky first?
And after this download treesizeFree? I'm not this good with computer. How I download the zipped version, extract it, and run from a flash drive,

M

marei

I try to download this zip file from Tree Size but i'm not able to do this. I get messages like could not be saved, because the source file could not be read. The next message is there is not enough room on the disk to save. I was not be able to choose my flash drive how can i do this I don't no. In the meantime I bought a new laptop (Mac) I hope this will be much better.
Now I would like still to know, how can i fix a problem like this. (just for fun)

Associates