RUMOUR: Return of Start button... Win 8

Shinma

Shinma

Just a rumour at this point,

Microsoft's Windows 8 Plan B(lue): Bring back the Start button, boot to desktop

Summary: Microsoft may be moving toward bringing back the Start Button and allowing users to boot straight to the desktop with its coming Windows 8.1 release later this year.

What if Microsoft relented and granted users who are lukewarm about Windows 8 two of their biggest requests: Allow those who want to boot straight to the desktop, and bring back the Start button with Windows Blue, a.k.a. Windows 8.1?

Though supposedly not part of the original plan for Blue, these two UI options are looking more likely.

Reports from a couple of different forums from this past weekend raised the possibility that Microsoft might be moving toward allowing users to skip booting into the Metro-Style Start menu and instead start their PCs in desktop mode...

Full article,
Click HERE

DanceMan

DanceMan

Procrastinating Member
Can't blame this miscue only on MS, since linux went off the rails earlier with Ubuntu's Unity and Gnome 3 on desktop issues. At least with linux there were alternative desktops.

Shinma

Shinma

Understandable.

It would be logical to bring back the Start button and boot to desktop,
So, Microsoft may very well NOT bring it back! :D

Flash

Flash

There's an old saying.."If it aint broken, don't fix it".

Obviously, MS has been changing things just for the sake of changing things.......to sell new OS' to people who really do not need a new os.
People rejected Vista and now Win 8

Will they ever learn? No, they are too dedicated to their misguided mindset to be able to improve a product without changing the character of the product that people love.

Personally I have all my systems set to classic windows style visually and my new win7 sys configured as much as possible to behave like XP. :)

DanceMan

DanceMan

Procrastinating Member
Both MS with Win8 and Ubuntu with Unity have attempted to make a desktop that works across all devices, but they've infuriated those of us without touchscreens who want a conventional desktop that we're used to.

Latest move in this area is an initiative by Intel toward Android tablet/notebook devices. While many of Intel's moves of this type, such as Ultrabooks, have come a cropper, it's nevertheless significant.

Shinma

Shinma

Flash said:
... Personally I have all my systems set to classic windows style visually and my new win7 sys configured as much as possible to behave like XP. :)
Ditto.

DanceMan

DanceMan

Procrastinating Member
Too little, too late.

So much simpler in life to say "I screwed up, here's the fix..........." Can't believe it doesn't apply in business too. It does where I work.

Shinma

Shinma

DanceMan, which Linux distro are you using/testing nowadays?
I stopped dabbling with Ubuntu when they switched to the annoying "Unity" GUI.

DanceMan

DanceMan

Procrastinating Member
Not using any currently, just following the news. Tried a live cd boot via usb of Mint XFCE but it didn't pick up networking. Last I actually used was Suse/KDE several years ago. At that time I was surprised to find that both Ubuntu and Fedora had booting issues with a pretty standard AMD/Giga/WD Sata desktop setup. Had more linux booting issues recently with a dual core Atom desktop board. Two current distros stalled, but the 32-bit Mint XFCE did boot enough for me to read the connected hdd before I wiped it. In this case I suspect it may have been ACPI issues in the bios settings. Both were 64-bit distros and I'd left the bios at defaults. I know there are a lot of IT guys using linux on their own gear, including laptops, but I haven't picked up any particular consensus on either a distro or a desktop.

Associates