Router Login

Burnt Powder

Burnt Powder

I am sure I am not the only person seeing this for the past few days.

Every time I come to the HWC forums and navigate to a new page on the forums I am prompted for this:

Really annoying......

Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones

Administrator
Have a feeling you've been hijacked....Since no one else has reported it, it has to be on your end...

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
I've seen Firefox do this on occasion, but never seen a router do it. Occasionally instead of displaying a page, Firefox will display the code and other times will throw up a login window somewhat like this. But I've loaded all our forums and pages countless times through a Linksys router and never seen this issue.

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
I can't think of another explanation myself. WRT54GS is a Linksys model number for a wireless router. If that's not the model you have something fishy is definitely up

Burnt Powder

Burnt Powder

We'll see and I will let you all know.

It happens in IE and FF. The ONLY site that this happens on is HWC. And I do not have a Linksys router as I said above.

-bp

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Yes I saw that which is why this makes no sense. That is definitely a Linksys model number in that login window. Since it's a very popular brand, perhaps the hijacking Mal ware is just playing the percentages

MAyers57

MAyers57

Elder Geek
Did you accidently setup your system to join a domain or something like that?
Because that's what it looks like. I would try another computer in your home to see if you get the same results.

Burnt Powder

Burnt Powder

MAyers57 said:
Did you accidently setup your system to join a domain or something like that?
Because that's what it looks like. I would try another computer in your home to see if you get the same results.
Nope. Just a member of a workgroup as it always has been.

As I said, HWC is the only site that give me this router login every time I go to a new page within HWC.........

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
I would run this online scan, and I would download and run rootkitRevealer, tonight while you're asleep. You musn't use the PC while it's running, and also turn off all scheduled automated tasks.

MAyers57

MAyers57

Elder Geek
Clear out your cookies, temp files, delete your IE cache, etc,etc...
Also, try downloading another browser, like Opera, and try it.

MAyers57

MAyers57

Elder Geek
Looked online for you. Saw some references to RSS feeds. Do you have some RSS feeds you subscribe to on your desktop automatically, or some other means?

Burnt Powder

Burnt Powder

MAyers57 said:
Looked online for you. Saw some references to RSS feeds. Do you have some RSS feeds you subscribe to on your desktop automatically, or some other means?
No.

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
I don't suppose your router is made by Cisco, is it? They make Linksys, so I thought maybe that might account for the msg.

Burnt Powder

Burnt Powder

JPnyc said:
I don't suppose your router is made by Cisco, is it? They make Linksys, so I thought maybe that might account for the msg.
No I have a NetGear........

I am running some tests on my PC now.

-bp

Burnt Powder

Burnt Powder

Well I pretty much did nothing and HWC is working fine now.

I ran a full AVG scan (found nothing) and a Spybot S&D scan (found nothing).

Very strange. I was getting that message for about 3 days......now I am not.

Associates