ris, architect!

ris

ris

super moderator
yesterday i got confirmation of my Diploma in Architecture, with distinction.

it also means i am fully qualified as an architect, and can take the charter with the RIBA. 10 years after starting my BSc i can finally say i have completed my studies, with my fourth degree.

and to top it off the school of architecture are going to give me a prize, which is quality.

beers all round this weekend :D

Marvt74

Marvt74

HWC Superpi Champion
Congratulations pal, looks like lots of hard work has paid off.
I'll have a few beers for you to since i'm nice like that.

Any idea of the prize?

CenturionStrategy

CenturionStrategy

Super Moderator
Woah, nicely done mate, I didn't even realise you were still studying! I still have 2 and a half years of my ACA to go :(

ris

ris

super moderator
i have no idea yet what the prize will be, probably some book tokens (that's what i got as a prize in 2002).

book tokens mainly means more archi-bookpr0n, big monographs full of pretty pictures :D

Martin_89

Martin_89

Congrats! My mate is just about to start his architect course, I wouldn’t have the patience to do it for all those years!

ris

ris

super moderator
i must admit i am glad i am done with the studying, the last few months of work and uni have been a bit trying.

i have a masters thesis to think about, but that can wait a few months, especially if the weather is nice!

Martin_89

Martin_89

you got any jobs lined up then?

im starting my HNC computing at college this year :)

ris

ris

super moderator
i've been with my current company for 2 1/2 years, and the course was remote-study, which means that i can stay in full time work while i do it.

it is focused on professional practice issues, so being in an office is pretty much invaluable. balancing the uni work with office work wasn't always easy.

Martin_89

Martin_89

ahh thats pretty cool that you had full time work while doing it, so atleast you have money coming in.

resStealth

resStealth

Diamond Member
whats hnc? and arent you a bit young for college martin? your younger then me

Martin_89

Martin_89

nope im 16, what age can you go to college in america?

hnc stands for Higher National Certificate

resStealth

resStealth

Diamond Member
you have to finish high school first. well you can take classes in college. im gonna take some computer classes at eku this fall.

Marvt74

Marvt74

HWC Superpi Champion
resStealth said:
you have to finish high school first. well you can take classes in college. im gonna take some computer classes at eku this fall.

Yeah your college is the equivalent to our university. We have high school and college as seperate entities. so

11-16 high school (Compulsary)
16-18 college (optional)
18 - Whenever you finish University.(Optional)

equinoxe3d

equinoxe3d

Marvt74 said:
Yeah your college is the equivalent to our university. We have high school and college as seperate entities. so

11-16 high school (Compulsary)
16-18 college (optional)
18 - Whenever you finish University.(Optional)
Nice, I didn't think the UK system was that similar to the one we have here.
With some exceptions, the general system here is:

13-17: High school (mostly required)
17-20: Technical college or 17-19: Preuniversitary college (both optional)
19 or 20 to whenever: University (optional)

[edit: damn, where are my manners lol, Congrats ris! I'll take one for you :D]

Last edited:
dannyboy27

dannyboy27

Lazy
congrats ris, now you get to reap the benefits :)

It sounds corny, but my parents used to say 'short-term effort = long-term rewards'

I studied for an MBA (masters in business admin) while working full time, so I know how stressful it can be. In the end I binned the final year, but still got a diploma in management studies out of it.

Then got made redundant a year later :D

But every cloud has a silver lining, as that's when I retrained and got into IT.