[RESOLVED] Wireless disappeared!

L

larosity

Toshiba Satellite laptop - Vista home basic - Optimum Broadband

Lost my wireless connection all at once. Thought it was my router. Device Mgr. showed that my MS adaptor #9 was not working. Needed drivers. Got a fix on MS website to delete my adaptor and reboot and it would return. When i rebooted all my adapters were gone. tried system restore to earlier time with no result. Is there a way I can get these adapters back? The laptop did not come with a disc.

Shinma

Shinma

Drivers for the Toshiba should be available for download at their website.

If assistance required to locate drivers,
State complete model of the Toshiba Satellite in question.

L

larosity

Oops, my eyes are going! To Sat L305 S5955 - this is the model number on the bottom of the unit

DanceMan

DanceMan

Procrastinating Member
Normally if the wireless card is there but not installed or driverless, Windows should show a device with a yellow exclamation mark (problem!) in Device Manager. On most recent laptops the wireless card is easily accessible on the bottom under a cover. They plug in much like a stick of ram and then there are two (three for wireless N?) wires that snap on from the antennas. If the card itself is at fault, it's easy to change. If it's under the keyboard, a little harder but still doable.

L

larosity

Thanks, I'll try this out on the weekend,,,have to upload to a disk though to get it into my laptop...hope it works!

L

larosity

Normally if the wireless card is there but not installed or driverless, Windows should show a device with a yellow exclamation mark (problem!) in Device Manager. On most recent laptops the wireless card is easily accessible on the bottom under a cover. They plug in much like a stick of ram and then there are two (three for wireless N?) wires that snap on from the antennas. If the card itself is at fault, it's easy to change. If it's under the keyboard, a little harder but still doable.
Alreadt tried this out...it's an older laptop so it's probavly buried under the keyboard. Yes, their was a "!" on the network adaptors originally but when I tried to delete and refresh, all of the NW adaptors disappeared from the list.

L

larosity

Wireless disappeared!

I want to thank everyone here for trying to help me out but I have downloaded every program and driver for this laptop with no result...I am just going to have to accept that sometimes there is no solution for some problems...time to buy a new laptop!

L

larosity

Thanks!

But it seems to have range problems...I operate the laptop more than 70 feet from my router.

jimbo1763

jimbo1763

+! on the advice Huge and SpywareDr are giving you. Getting an add-on wireless device will give you the wireless capability you want, and generally for a pretty reasonable cost. You can go USB, or, depending on the laptop, you can go with a PCMCIA card.

L

larosity

Just want to let you know...bought the Buffalo USB wireless...didn't work...called Buffalo support...Clueless!! Returned the item for a full refund...purchased an Aspire One laptop that works beautifully(after I had to call support and get a driver upgrade)...great little laptop for the money! Thanks to all for your advice and help - sometimes, you just have to go back to square one!:)