[RESOLVED] Wireless connected, but cannot connect to websites

Viper222

Viper222

Nissan Driven
#1
I am trying to help someone with a webpage connection issue. The problem is that the computer is connected to the router, but the web browser cannot connect to websites. Prior to this happening, the Internet connection was intermittent and slow. I ran the WINSOCKFIX utility and it seemed to clear up all issues for a couple of days.

Specs: Dell Latitude D600 with 1256GB RAM (1GB upgraded recently), XP Home SP3 with Google Chrome as the default browser, wireless b or g connection, connected to a 2wire router

The initial problem was that the computer was "running slow," so I did the following:

- uninstalled the "BELL" security suite and installed Avast Antivirus and ran a boot-time scan - system is clean
- installed Malwarebytes and did a quick scan - system clean
- installed and ran CCleaner and registry cleaner
- checked for IP address conflicts (DHCP enabled and everything ok)

I am going to try the following:
- uninstall and re-install the wireless NIC driver
- check the firewall settings in detail

Any ideas on how to fix this issue?

Any replies are appreciated. Thanks!
 
Bink

Bink

Will moderate for food
#2
Hey Viper222, have you tested this from another device or computer? Perhaps hook up your phone to the wireless and see if you can surf via that?

Also try testing things like DNS name resolution. From the command line, try running:
Code:
ping www.google.com
...and see what the response is. If it's able to convert the name into an IP address and ping it, then I guess we can at least assume DNS is ok.
 
Viper222

Viper222

Nissan Driven
#3
Hi Bink,

I forgot to list in my first post that I already ran a ping command www.yahoo.com, which was successful. I logged into the 2wire router and DHCP is enabled. There are no IP address conflicts either.

There is a second laptop sharing the same Internet connection, with no issues.

BTW, what is up with the reply from TinaSAREERTY? It seems out of place in my thread.
 
Last edited:
Bink

Bink

Will moderate for food
#5
Viper222, have you tried using another browser? It's curious that an application such as ping (small as it is) is able to communicate with the outside world but your browser isn't.

If you haven't already, try Firefox or Chrome.

What about other things like email (Outlook, Thunderbird, etc), or chat (MSN, Yahoo!, Google Chat, Skype... etc)? Do any of these work?
 
nodnod

nodnod

Dismember
#6
Have you tried alternate DNS? Try googles free dns servers or something:

8.8.8.8
8.8.4.4

*Also try the computer with a cable instead of wireless. Could be the wireless NIC
 
Viper222

Viper222

Nissan Driven
#7
Thanks for the replies. I have yet to try your suggestions, since the owner of the laptop is very busy these days. She does not use IM and only uses web mail (does not want IM installed). I will post back with the results.

I recently installed Google Chrome as an alternate to IE, but I will uninstall it and see what happens.
 
Last edited:
Viper222

Viper222

Nissan Driven
#8
Resolved

My problem is resolved. The person who's laptop I was working on, was not giving me the whole story. She had trouble with the modem/router, which was resolved by a power-cycle. Since I was not given access to the modem/router, I was limited to working on the laptop. I let her resolve the "Internet issue" herself, which she did.

It just so happened that Internet connectivity was lost after installing Google Chrome, but that was coincidence.
 

Associates