[RESOLVED] What is the connector and where do I get a PSU with one?

markjs

markjs

Vlad The Impaler
I had a friend in need of help but when I plugged his machine in it arced something in the PSU and unfortunately it's an old RAMBUS machine and he has no money to speak of and needs it up if we can. b The motherboard is an ASUS P4T.

The trouble is it needs this connector and I have no idea what it is even. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
equinoxe3d

equinoxe3d

According to this review by AnandTech, the AT connector is for auxiliary power and from their tests the motherboard runs fine with it unplugged.

Remember the new ATX 2.03 specification Intel announced together with the Pentium 4? A lot of people complained about the specifications since they would have to purchase not only a new case, but also a new power supply with the ATX12V connector.

As mentioned previously, ASUS gets around the case problem by having their own baseboard design, but they have also put in quite a bit of effort to get around the new power supply specification as well. As an experiment, we unplugged both the ATX12V and AUX power connectors, leaving only the standard ATX connector in place. We then proceeded to run our normal stress tests and found that the P4T still did not crash once within 16 hours, showing that the board was able to draw all the necessary current solely from the ATX power connector.

This discovery shows that there is a good chance that you do not in fact need to go out and get a new power supply with the ATX12V connector. Of course, this is also partially dependant on the quality of your current PSU.

markjs

markjs

Vlad The Impaler
There was never an RDRAM system with an AT power supply it is ATX 1.3 I found out at Anandtech. They have them at Newegg, problem solved.

Associates