[RESOLVED] What is my bottleneck

Burnt Powder

Burnt Powder

Hello everyone. Been awhile!

Looking over my sig, what would you say is my bottleneck (or bottlenecks) for 3D Games?

I originally thought it would be my graphics card (yes I know it is dated) but I got to thinking that even if I were to put a new card in that possible my CPU/FSB/Memory still would bottleneck a new card making it time to retire this old faithful machine as my primary and break down and build a new one.

What are your thoughts?

-bp

nodnod

nodnod

Dismember
I'd say your video card is your bottleneck. While quite powerful in it's day, it is quite outdated now. Everything else still looks do-able.

Burnt Powder

Burnt Powder

I am throwing around the idea of getting a HD 6950.

Based on the reviews and charts I have looked at they appear to be the best bang for your buck right now.

I just hope as I said before that something else in my system does not hold the card back.

Comments?

Last edited:
Burnt Powder

Burnt Powder

I am throwing around the idea of getting a HD 6950.

Based on the reviews and charts I have looked at they appear to be the best bang for your buck right now.

I just hope as I said before that something else in my system does not hold the card back.

Comments?
HD 6950 or GTX 560 Ti. They appear to be about the same in the benchmarks I have seen and are priced similarly. What would everyones choice be between those two cards?

D

digitaldog

Still here!
Have to agree, Nvidia has never let me down and seems to work very well with all my games. Nice looking setup, bp!

Huge

Huge

Why am I still doing up?
+1 nvidia also; about to install 2x 570's in my new rig i'm building.

nodnod

nodnod

Dismember
A lot of the good games use Physx, which is Nvidia only. and does help performance. I say Nvidia all the way

Last edited:
Burnt Powder

Burnt Powder

I just orderd the EVGA SuperClocked GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1GB from Newegg. They are running a weekend special and after rebate it will be $234.99.

I have always had good luck with EVGA and the two selling points were the slightly higher clocks as well as EVGA's lifetime (limited) warranty.

A little late to ask now but did I make a good choice :)

Ratt

Ratt

A little late to ask now but did I make a good choice :)
With Evga lifetime (limited) warranty, it would make that card a good choice.

If I wanted something unique I'd go for Galaxy / KFA2 GeForce GTX 560 White edition (Available only in Europe / Asia) I did consider importing one though that was before GTX 590 came into the picture.

Been looking high and low for an Asus GTX 590. Seems that they are in limited quantities and sold out everywhere. :( Tempted to order a Gigabyte GTX 590 instead.

For the HD6990 vs GTX 590 argument,

Buy Nvidia cards!!

:D

Attachments

Last edited:

Associates