[RESOLVED] what do I need to do?

u8myufo

u8myufo

My mates laptop popped so I built him an internet pc from odd bits. Its got an Asus A7N8X-X mobo. Xp pro sp3. memory etc. Ok the machine is flying along happily. However I am trying to install his WiFi dongle, which he had with the laptop to share his mates connection.

All the dongle has written on it is
802.11g USB. If I google that it takes me to belkin. When I go to install the dongle, it pops up found new hardware USB2 Wlan, windows does not install anything for it. I have downloaded and tried drivers for it but its not recognising anything, I have the latest Nvidia2 mobo driver as thats supposed to be more up to date than the Asus driver. So what exactly is it I need to do to get it working? Or would it be easier for me to buy a pci wireless card to install complete with software? Or is it a windows issue? any help would be great.
Thanks

Shinma

Shinma

... 802.11g USB...
That is just a standard/specification.

To locate drivers, brand and model will be required.

If there is definitely no other markings on the dongle,
The quickest/easiest solution is to purchase/use a PCI wireless card.

u8myufo

u8myufo

Well thanks from you two :) Nice to know you are still in the wings as they say ;)
Yeh I forgotto mention that the 801.11g is a standard. No thats it, there is know brand mark or anything on it, which made me wonder perhaps it was one of the first early dongles, as the laptop was about three years old, and he bought that of his mate, so I am guessing the dongle got to be at least 5 yrs old.

Cheers

u8myufo

u8myufo

Update

I took the usb dongle apart and tracked the bar code down to a winbond product. I have downloaded the file which I need and unzipped it to a folder. According to the pdf manual you cancel the installation when pc finds the device, and run the exe file. However there is no exe file in the file I downloaded, just a (w35und) (netw35) (oem26) folders.

:confused::confused::confused:

Shinma

Shinma

... However there is no exe file in the file I downloaded, just a (w35und) (netw35) (oem26) folders...
You can try installing the driver via Device Manager > Update Driver...
Point to the folder containing unzipped files.

u8myufo

u8myufo

Thanks Shinma, I did that and it was fine the pc recognised it. Ok I took pc to his house and booted up. I get the message found one or more wireless connctions. Then it says click on notice to view connections. When I do this it comes up no connections available. I tried using a little programme called Radar scan and that to does not find the connections either. :confused:

According to the manual for the dongle, when the driver has installed it should show a little picture of an antenna on the task bar. I dont have this, I got the normal icon for wireless internet but thats it. I am wondering if the driver was no good. Also the dongle was from an E-Machine laptop, should that make any difference?

u8myufo

u8myufo

Problem solved

Tried new wireless dongle, Wham Bam thank you Mam, it found the connection straight away. :)
Thanks for your input guys and see you around in another millennia

K

Kosh42|EFG

Please help...

I took the usb dongle apart and tracked the bar code down to a winbond product. I have downloaded the file which I need and unzipped it to a folder....
Hi There,

I have the exact same ancient dongle I need to use for a project, but am failing to find a download for it... Can you link where you found your's, please?

Thanks,

Kosh

Associates