[RESOLVED] Voodoo3 3000 or Viper V770 ultra

B

Binar

I've just made a system AMD K7 600 with 64 mb ram and win 98.The motherboard is FIC SD-11.My problem is the videocard.Wich is better on my system a Voodoo3 3000 or a Viper V770 ultra.
Thanks for any help.

A

ankerson

Go with the V3 for your system, you will have less problems...

V3's work best on AMD systems...

B

buttpin

wow.....Athlon 600...you must be rich..

and if your rich, get both and see which runs better.....then send me the one you dont want!

J

Jesse Thompson

Also, get some more RAM... I am both disgusted and appalled to see an Athlon with only 64 megs of RAM... tssk.

JEs

------------------
The fool cannot be corrected with words (PROV 29:19).

B

Binar

I'm not a rich guy.That is the reason I use only 64 mb ram on an Athlon.That is the first PC I can buy after 3 years.I prefer to use an PC a long time instead to update it at every few months.
More ram I'll buy when the prices will drop.

S

Splatt

If price is your main concern, then go for the V3. Best bet is the V3-2k, which, with the rebate, you can get for about $75. It will run almost as fast as the 3500 when o/c with a standard 486 fan - you should be able to hit 180 easy. The bid cards seem to be coming out almost every day now so it doens't seem to make sense to buy cutting edge - V303500 was just released and now they're talking about the V4 for the holidays.... And the GeForce is almost in the stores now (Was scheduled for Sep25 but I don't think it shipped yet).

Save the money and upgrade to either the savage2k, GeForce or V4 in about 8 months when they hit the $100 range

B

Binar

Thx to everybody for trying to help me. I bought the Viper.It took me a while to make up my mind but now I'm happy with my choice

------------------
Heatware

D

DuronClocker

Originally posted by Splatt:

Save the money and upgrade to either the savage2k, GeForce or V4 in about 8 months when they hit the $100 range
Savage2k?!?!!?!?!? WHAT!?!? I bought one for $70 online a few months ago. I was VERY UNHAPPY with it. In fact, I got an improvement by moving to a Viper V770 nonUltra running at just above Ultra clock speeds. I sold my Savage2k (64mb, TVout) for $35 online just 3 days ago. I'm glad I got that much out of that piece of crap.

3dmark2001 score with Savage2k(143/166 max stable)...700 (640x480x16 was max I could get it to run)
Viper V770 (160/190)...2100 (640x480x16) and 1500 (1024x768x32).

------------------
MSI K7T Turbo-R w/ 2.35v mod
AthlonXP 1600+ @1900+ @ 1.75v
256MB Corsair PC150 CL3
12x DVD, 12x CDRW
Water-cooled 118w Peltier
Diamond TNT2 Viper V770 @ 160/190

S

Samazon

I think Duron Clocker just bumped this thread so It would make his Graphic Card more current without having to actually upgrade.
[This message has been edited by Samazon (edited 02-08-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Samazon (edited 02-08-2002).]

S

Samazon

Too funny. How polite of Binar to let us know his decision... I bet waiting 2 years really dropped the price of that Viper.

F

fallguy

Originally posted by DuronClocker:
3dmark2001 score with Savage2k(143/166 max stable)...700 (640x480x16 was max I could get it to run)
Viper V770 (160/190)...2100 (640x480x16) and 1500 (1024x768x32).
Damn DuronClocker,
you actually managed to get the S2K card to run at 143/166 - mine will barely crawl to 130/150 (from 125/143). Although your scores seem a little low, in 3DMark 2001 I scored around 1000 with my Viper (at defualt resolution and setting), even at the bog slow default clock and core speed. Sounds like you got some bad drivers or maybe a bad install/corrupted registry settings.......

Still, I would agree that a TNT2 at Ultra speeds can surpass the S2K in D3D at least, although I personally would have "upgraded" to something a little faster though (A Radeon or GeForce 2 maybe).

Fallguy

B

Binar

Nice of you guys. I listened to you and I bought a videocard which now is worthless. Can't play any games with this videocard.I have issues with the drivers and I can't do much in Adobe.

Poor me : ;)

D

DuronClocker

Do you just enjoy bumping old threads :confused: :p

Btw, I wouldn't call a Viper useless. I loved mine :) 'Til it died for some odd reason or another. I have another TNT2 and it can handle any game up to about 6 months ago :D I don't expect my video cards to last like 3-4 years anyways :D

Todd a

Todd a

But at least the card took over three years to become worthless! At least you don't need to goto 3rd party drivers to run under WindowsXP and you can still play the classics like Quake3 without any trouble. :p

You still got an Athlon 600Mhz and 64MB memory to got with that TNT2? Hee, Hee, Heee...

D

DumplingMastaB

This Space For Rent
So here I am thinking why would a V3 2K cost $75 with rebate thinking "Has he lost his mind?". They're probably 20 dollars right now! Then came the post saying it was 2 years ago. :eek:

Whoa, it sure did take you along time to decide. A little too long perhaps. I thought this thread would of been wiped out of the database!

B

Binar

I'll try to cover some of my investment and put it up for sale on EBay
Hoping I’ll cover my listing fee at least.

oh well good luck to me :(

F

fallguy

Dayamn,
I thought I recognised this thread! :)

I actually quite liked my Viper II (S2K) card, but it wouldn't run on any new motherboards so I sold it on earlier this year. And replaced it with a Radeon 8500 LE, bit of an upgrade there! :)

Fallguy

Associates