[RESOLVED] virtual router

S

slhayes

I am waiting on a Coby tablet and am trying to figure out how is the best way for me to be able to access it. I currently have Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit on my eMachine desktop. I also have an eeePC net book with Wi-Fi 802.11. A third machine is the Acer Aspire Revo with XP as the OS, a small machine that is basically like a laptop in its configuration. I do not have a wireless router, but have cable in almost every room in my house. I need to figure out the best way to be able to use the new Coby tablet when it comes in, and have been looking at things on the internet, including virtual wi-fi for the Win 7 machine.
I found a link on the internet that talks about virtual router and virtual wi-fi:

http://www.labnol.org/software/wireless-network-without-router/11494/

I also have looked on Amazon at things like the adapters etc. I am not real sure what I should be looking for in order to get this up and running, and would appreciate any suggestions from anyone here. It may take a week for the Coby to come in, so I am not ready to do too much, other than maybe there is something I can try with the Win 7 machine and the net book at this point?

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

That's an "ad hoc" network. Microsoft describes it this way in the Windows 7 Help file:
An ad hoc network is a temporary connection between computers and devices used for a specific purpose, such as sharing documents during a meeting or playing multiplayer computer games. You can also temporarily share an Internet connection with other people on your ad hoc network, so those people don’t have to set up their own Internet connections. Ad hoc networks can only be wireless, so you must have a wireless network adapter installed in your computer to set up or join an ad hoc network.
Here's a link to Fred Langa's "Setting up a temporary ‘ad hoc’ network" step-by-step instructions:
http://windowssecrets.com/top-story/setting-up-a-temporary-ad-hoc-network/

jimbo1763

jimbo1763

You ought to be able to use any wireless router as a wireless access point by plugging it into your existing router or one of your wired connection points. You will need to turn off DHCP on the wireless device first to do this.

Or, depending on how many wired connections you need or want, you could simply replace your existing wired router with a wireless one. Sometimes the wireless access point method works better, though, depending on where you physically want the center of the wireless connection to be.

S

slhayes

Thanks to both of you for your replies, I also saw something where you could set up a "hotspot" using a flash drive but I can't find the link now. I was wondering about if it was possible to plug a wireless router into my wired router somehow. I would want to be able to shut it off when I am not using the tablet. I ordered another flash drive that came in today, but am still not sure which way to go. I have four computers in the house right now and the tablet will be the fifth, but not with a ethernet connection. I have another in a closet down the basement that is just sitting there for the drive if I ever decide to take it out, it also has a 3.5 drive which none of these others have. I guess it will never be used, but there is info there for when I get a stupid idea to look for something old.

jimbo1763

jimbo1763

If you add a wireless router as an access point to your wired router, all you have to do to shut down the wireless signal is to unplug the wireless router. Your other wired connections would not be affected.

S

slhayes

Where is the wireless router plugged into the wired router? I see one open ethernet port on the back of it. It is a Dynex router, I also have a switch to take up all the other cables in our other rooms. If this makes sense? It doesn't stay in my head real long why it is what it is.

jimbo1763

jimbo1763

It can plug into an open ethernet port just like any other computer's ethernet cable.

jimbo1763

jimbo1763

When you are ready, access the wireless router and turn off DHCP first-before you plug it into the rest of the network.

S

slhayes

I found this on a search in another forum:

Apr 18, 2006, 08:21 PM
Go to Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Component Serives, Services Local, and find DHCP Client in the list on the right. Double click on DHCP Client, and in the Properties window, General tab, in the middle you will see Startup type:. Set the type to Disabled. Hopefuly that should do it.

If I take the steps to a certain point I see:

Do I just stop the service from Control Panel?

Attachments

jimbo1763

jimbo1763

The instructions for the router will tell you how to access its menus. Generally, you hook it up directly to a computer with an ethernet cable, open a web browser, and type in its IP address-most use 192.168.0.1, but that can vary by maker. That should open the router settings menu, and you can turn it off from there. You can also name the router, establish a security code for the wireless signal, etc. from the settings.

S

slhayes

Thanks for all the time you spent this afternoon/evening. I will come back once I get it running to let you know. I know you guys have been out here for a long time.

Associates