[RESOLVED] upgrade CPU help please

S

splooge

I have a Gigabyte x38t-dq6 running a Q6600. Would like to do a simple CPU upgrade, considering the QX9700, but I read that it's really meant for x48 boards even though it's listed as compatible for this mobo on Gigabyte's website.

So should I just get the QX9650 instead? Save money for a plenty enough boost in performance?

Um which brings up another question, difference between QX9650 Extreme and Quad flavors?

thanks

Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
Did you try overclocking your Q6600 yet? You might as well get the most out of the CPU you have before you spend $$ on another.

Both the QX9700 and QX9650 are really expensive. You might as well start building an i7 system at that point.

QX CPUs are multiplier unlocked, but that only helps if you plan to overclock.

S

splooge

They are pricey. I noticed the Core™ 2 Quad Q9550 are much cheaper. How great is the performance difference between Q9550 and QX9650?

Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
They are pretty close. 9550 @ 2.8GHz vs 9650 @ 3.0GHz

I'm assuming you don't want to overclock since you didn't acknowledge that.

S

splooge

Hmmm if that's the only change in specs, then I think I found my upgrade. Same mobo and no need to reinstall OS for once, I'm golden.

Actually I think my PC is currently slightly OCed, but I generally avoided it in the past. However lately if it's a safe bet I'll give it a little nudge. :cool:

Now to consider Sli...

S

splooge

I mean can I really pay $215 for a 2.8g CPU, OC it to 3.0g, the same speed as a CPU priced at $900+ ? Really? :eek: :)

glussier

glussier

I mean can I really pay $215 for a 2.8g CPU, OC it to 3.0g, the same speed as a CPU priced at $900+ ? Really? :eek: :)
Yes you can, and with a good after market cooler you might easily get it to 4ghz. You might be able to get the Q9550 to 3.5ghz without touching the vcore.

S

splooge

ok so I'm getting the OC bug. I do already have good after market cooling. Looks like I had my q6600 (2.4) OC to 2.6. So when I installed the q9550 I forgot to adjust the BIOS and it was underclocking. I've looked at some OC guides but I have some specific questions. First I'd like to know what the default settings are SUPPOSED to be. I think I now have them close enough

questions
1. I've read that the CPU clock is 8.5 - I can't set that value. Can't put a decimal, and can't find in the BIOS where I can enable any ".5" option? Gigabyte X38T-DQ6. I guess I can OC at 8 but I want to know. Also I'm limited between 6 and 8. Here they have a default set up of my mobo and it shows 9x.

2. If I change the bus speed, the mem speed changes from 1066 to 1130 in this case. What's that all about?

Associates