[RESOLVED] Trying to upgrade Celeron to P4 - fails

DanceMan

DanceMan

Procrastinating Member
Did you miss the part where I said it was replaced?
Oops, yes.

And if it passes Memtest, while it's not a cpu stress test, it does indicate the cpu is most likely operating as it should. You mentioned the processor driver and it made me think that a few minutes with a live linux cd would take the OS out of the equation and provide a "second opinion."

R

rlg

I'm pretty sure that the memtests I did were with the Celeron installed not the Pentium. I either didn't try using the Pentium because I knew it was unstable or I did try it and it locked up. The idea was to check the memory sticks. I know for sure that the 2GB test was done with the Celeron. The 512 MB DDR 266 is the one I can't remember but was probably done with the Celeron.

Live Linux is a great idea. I'm downloading Ubuntu now(1hr 30 mins to go).
It was mentioned in passing earlier in the thread and I thought about it, but was not sure if my equipment would be compatible. But after more thought it will probably work. We'll see.

I'm learning a lot - Thanks. Did not know that Linux could be run from a CD.

R

rlg

OK I downloaded and burned a live CD of Ubuntu.
It worked fine with Celeron but locked up as it was loading with the Pentium.
Tried three times with the Pentium but the five dots that change colors as it is loading to indicate activity stopped sequencing.

This verifies it's not the operating system. In an earlier post I mentioned that I am set up to dual boot and Win 2000 locked up also.

Also tried the Ultimate Boot CD while the Pentium was in there. The memtest worked OK and so did the Processor ID utility. The CPU Info utility gave me warning messages:

1.163493 DRIVERS/RTC/HCTOSY.C: UNABLE TO OPEN RTC DEVICE (RTC0)
I tried looking this up and seems to indicate that it can't read the hardware clock.

Also got:
1.365061 KERNAL PANIC - NOT SYNCING: VFS: UNABLE TO MOUNT ROOT FS ON UNKOWN BLOCK (1,0)

DanceMan

DanceMan

Procrastinating Member
This is definitely above my knowledge level. I'm surprised at the fact the P4 will run Memtest but not an OS. It would seem that neither the linux kernel nor the Win kernel will cooperate with it, but the kernel in Memtest will. It's likely an older linux kernel, but I'm speculating.

I would guess that the problem lies in the chipset from SiS not living up to the claims made as to what cpu's it will support. This is a long shot, because I doubt you would get a useful response, if any at all, but I would contact Gigabyte support. At least Gigabyte is one of the major and respectable motherboard manufacturers, but the chances of a response from someone with enough real knowledge or any power is remote. More likely are responses off a list that ignore your real problem.

The only hope I can see is if there is some switch or setting in the bios that will give you the compatibility you are missing for the P4. And you've apparently already tried the "softest" bios option.

R

rlg

Thanks for everyone's help and concern.
I noticed that my SIS driver for the AGP card and IDE were not the latest so I updated them. Also downloaded the latest BIOS and used Q-Flash instead of @BIOS.
Problem still remains. Ubuntu also still locks up while loading.

But windows loaded completely and I was able to start looking around before I lost mouse and keyboard control. I'm guessing that the IDE driver update allowed a faster load (also I had previously done a defrag & optimize). The lockup appears to be timed and not a function of what is loading. I was able to see the CPU and system temp within windows:
40 deg. C for CPU and 35 deg. C for System. Looks OK.

I will contact Gigabyte support. I tried that previously but my Java script blocking caused me to think that the support link was not working.

Don't sweat this guys. It's not an emergency.

jimbo1763

jimbo1763

Don't sweat this guys. It's not an emergency.
It's aggravating when something doesn't work like it is supposed to.

I am not sure what BIOS revision you are running. I did not take but a brief look at the Gigabyte site-but don't earlier versions of the BIOS allow the Pentium? Maybe an earlier version might be friendlier, even if it meant stepping down the RAM, at least initially. Grasping at straws here, I understand...

R

rlg

Yes there does appear to be to be two earlier versions available but I'm leery and not desperate enough.

I would only try it with the just one stick of my slower memory. Waiting to see what response I get from Gigabyte and another message board I just discovered. Anything happens: you'll be the first to know.

Weeboll

Weeboll

NO MONEY NO SKI
longshot but is your motherboard the same rev as the link you posted, I'm guessing it is as you managed to update the bios

I've had systems be totally unstable after cpu upgrades e.g. Sempron 3000 to athlon x2 4000 and had to install fresh copy of windows but as you have eliminated that then it doesn't help

does the boot progress further or for longer under failsafe bios options?

R

rlg

Going to Plan B

Well I broke it. Tried to flash an older version of BIOS, but the Pentium was in there and locked up. Board is useless now.
The good news is I've ordered a Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H motherboard, AMD Athlon II X2 3.4 GHz dual core, 4 GB of DDR3 1333 MHz, Antec EA-380D 380 W power supply and a SATA DVD-RW.

Cost? $38.

I'm returning an unworn jacket that has a color that sucks and will get a refund of $262. The equipment costs $300 so the net expense is only $38.

This board will have dual BIOS, USB 3.0, 6 eSATA, DVI, HDMI, floppy header, and an IDE header (wont' have to replace my hard drives).

Very happy.

R

rlg

Think I found the problem

DanceMan was close when he mentioned the power supply.

When I tore the machine down I noticed that the 20 pin power connector on the motherboard came off very easily. I don't think it was latched down.

This makes a for a good troubleshooting conclusion for anyone with the same problem in the future. I'm still happy and will be rebuilding it as soon as the parts arrive.

Associates