[RESOLVED] Static crackling on Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum

M

marvin-miller

Hi Folks;

I registered just to let you know that muting the CD Audio option immidately fixed my snap, crackle and pop.

I got the idea from this thread. It seems that the problem was already cased several posts back and that people are missing the solution and muddying the waters.

In my case muting the CD Audio option fixed it. Others are finding that muting other options fixed it. The common thread is that muting options that are not required seems to be fixing the problem.....

I'm running an Audigy 2 ZS with the latest drivers from Creative.

Thanks for fixing my problem! I was about to peel open the case and solder a ground strap onto the card :) You saved me the bother by enabling me to fix it just by muting the CD Audio option.

If I sound like I'm repeating myself, I am. It seems a lot of people in this thread missed the common thread :D

A

a666

know what you mean

had constant crackling and popping after installed new vid card dont know why all i know is try to disable 1394 in device manager. go to device manager. click on + by IEEE 1394 bus host. right-click OHCI 1394 thing. click on Disable. restart your compooter. it worked for me hope it solves yer problem. if it does indeed help you out spread the word lots of people with these audigy 2 problems

S

SteveOx

Solved the problem after 10 years and reading much advice . . . I have Dell 8250 running XP with a SB Audigy 2 card.

1. I used Sysinfo and determined that there are 3 devices sharing the SB IRQ (network card and 2 USB controller).
2. Could NOT manually re-assign IRQs vis HW properties or BIOS, so . . .
3. I pulled out the Dell manual and they noted that there was only 1 preferred motherboard PCI slot for the sound card. I had inadvertently moved the SB card to a different slot some time ago to improve air circulation around the video card.
4. Made sure all PCI cards were in the Dell recommended slot.
5. Used Sysinfo again and determined that SB now shared IRQs with video card and 1 USB controller. (You may want to note which USB in case using that causes problems in the future.)
6. Uninstalled ALL SB software and used a registry cleaner to ensure no remains.
7. Installed Creative Sound Drivers [Daniel K] (1-April-2008) � DRIVER ONLY.
8. Under Hardware | Device Manager, made sure all IDE controllers used DMA (not PIO). (Why? Because the IDE controllers share the PCI bus.)
9. Under Hardware | Device Manager, made sure all CD/DVD properties had UNCHECKED digital audit and VOLUME slider set to min.
10. Using the XP Volume Control Panel | Options | Properties � checked ALL playback boxes (e.g. display all).
11. Open the XP Volume Control Panel and MUTE everything except WAVE, and put all unused sliders to MIN volume. Hopefully, all noise and popping has cease and the sound is clear.
12. You will notice noise & popping (sometime violent) during boot-up until all of the correct settings kick in.
13. If noise is still heard, it is because XP periodically un-mutes some of the devices. Just open the Volume Control Panel and mute everything except WAVE.
14. ENJOY pure sound again!!!

S

SteveOx

RESOLVED - Final FIX

The final fix and MOST IMPORTANT of ALL . . . re-install the original Intel Chipset drivers from your Dell Resource CD or the Dell website.

Mine required R41334. The driver set includes setup for: AGP, PCI, USB, IDE.

Associates