[RESOLVED] Static crackling on Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum

K

Kurjak

In my case static sound was caused by Asus MyCinema TV PCI card. At first there was no static when I installed TV card, but after installing newest Creative drivers it started. Also, at first static usually came when playing EAX games like BF2 or Total War, but later it started immediately with windows start. I tried almost everything: reinstalling drivers, degrading to lower version drivers, changing PCI latency, swithcing PCI slots, spreading spectrum in bios, moving all cables away from sound card - speakers cables, but in avail.
Only removing TV card solved the problem. Anyway this may be of help to someone who has similar issues.

O

orange591

My PC just started doing this a few weeks back. I have an Audigy 2 card, on a computer I built in 2002 and haven't changed any hardware on at all. I only ever used the Creative drivers. It started out as occasional popping but has developed into constant static. I update WinXP regularly but had not updated the soundcard drivers in a LONG time (a couple years possibly). I don't ever use the EAX effects for anything directly, and I live alone so I know nobody else is messing with my PC's settings.

What I have found causes this on my PC is a problem/bug with the EAX effects. Even if [No Effects] is selected but the effects mixer slider is not set to zero, I get the crackling.

If I set the EAX slider to zero%, and then start and exit a game (UT2004 for example) then look at the EAX slider again, it is at 80% and the crackling is back. And if I turn the EAX back down to zero, the crackling is gone.

Also I have seen that the EAX controls are not consistent: I have a copy of Creative Playcenter installed, and if I open the EAX tab of the Creative Audio Console and the EAX control of Creative Playcenter and move one slider, the other does not move as well. If I turn the Creative Audio Console slider up, I get no crackling, but if I turn the Creative Playcenter slider up, I get crackling right away.

Sometimes if I start a song in Creative Playcenter, the crackling is back--and if I check the EAX slider, it's back up to 100%.

At no time have I seen the EAX effects get set differently; it always stays on [no effects].

So basically--I can stop the crackling if it happens, but I can't prevent it from starting again later, because I can't force the EAX effects slider to stay at zero%.

(Creative Playcenter is the audio player program that came with the earlier Soundblaster Live cards. It will work on Audigy cards too, but you need to get it off a SBL installer CD, as the Creative website only ever offered updates for it--they never posted the program itself for download)

Hope this helps.
~

O

orange591

I noticed that the static will work with the EAX environmental effects--but not on the Advanced EQ effects. When you open the Creative Audio Console and choose any of the Advanced EQ effects, the slider goes to 100% and there's no static. SO perhaps it might be easiest to just choose one you like and leave it on that.

I tried to play with some of the other EAX effects (the studio effects specifically) and the Creative Audio Console basically locked up on me, and I had to reboot.... :|
~

Last edited:
B

Bugsy969

I found the same thing... i didn't have the problem when i bought the card but when i did driver updates it just went into a constant static.... i did kinda figure out whats... CAUSEing it. if i disable the Line-in2/Mic2... it compleatly stops... but.. i use the 1/4 line-2/Mic2 for recording. so it's been an annoyince... just wondering how you would disable the " turbo " setting in the registris he so hey.. since i do have a Via board.

P

Pyroguy

Removed Wireless G- Problem Solved

I have been fighting this crackling sound for a while when I found this thread.
I have a Creative SB Audigy 2ZS in a Dell 4700. The noise got so bad that we essentially had to stop listening to internet radio or any audio function.

Tonight I shut down and swapped slots for a Linksys Wireless G card and the Sound card. The crackling stopped and all was quiet for 10 minutes or so and then started crackling again.
I shut down and removed the wireless card. (I am plugged directly into a router, so I don't need the wireless) and am now back up with a very useable sound system, although no wireless network access. To be fair, I don't think the card had been working for quite a while, and I had just plugged a CAT-5 in to the router and forgot about the wireless.
I will be interested to hear if anyone is using the Linksys Wireless-G and has the noise problem.
I am enjoying great internet music for the first time in months.

P

Pyroguy

Wireless G No solution after all

Ok So I was premature in the post above. After several hours of crackle-free sound, the static crackling sound returned with a fury. Tonight I removed the Audigy card altogether and changed over to the integrated sound on the Dell motherboard. No problems since I did that but I am humbled by my incorrect and all too optimistic diagnosis of the problem earlier, so I will just say so far, so good. I wonder why I bought an extra sound card anyway?

A

anddyson

Some people above mentioned that the problem might be to do with Vista. I can confirm that this isn't the case as I run Ubuntu Linux 8.04 and I've got the same problem with crackling speakers - although it only occurs when reading from the DVD and CD drives.

I've got an Audigy 2 Platinum and a Soyo DragonPlus motherboard with a Via KT600 chipset.

I'll have a look at some of the suggestions people have made about BIOS settings and so on and let you know if I get any results.

Fraginstein

Fraginstein

ThePerson98 said:
This is a problem through the motherboard mainly..

Have you installed any new hardware? Plugged anything new in?
You saved me some trouble. My SB X-FI gamer started to crackle through the speakers and left SteelSound headset cup. I read this post and remembered I had recently installed an MSI Star key Bluetooth dongle with Bluetooth stereo drivers (which added two other audio devices). Removed same and viola, no more static or crackles!

F

fredcanfly

I just found this forum trying to fix this very same issue. After reading this thread, I decided to just play around with muting different things. About 2 days ago, I muted CD Audio in the volume control, and that seems to have fixed it. I have done everything I normally do and it seems to have worked. I don't ever use the CD drive for anything anyway. I figured that I would let you know - might possibly work for someone else also.

B

BlackJackBob

Hey Gang,

I registered STRICTLY to emphasize on this problem of Static Crackling with or without actual sound playing..

Go to your sound controls and Mute that what you are NOT using. Having them all unmuted would cause this "Static" problem for me.

Muted Line-in , since it's not being used and Static b' GONE..

:eek::rolleyes:

Hope this helps.

dllfile

dllfile

Problem is not the sound card or the motherboard.. Problem is while Creative are great at making hardware, they are not as good at development of software. Their drivers are just crap compared to the hardware they produce.

Instead, goto this site: http://kxproject.lugosoft.com and get the drivers there. Any Creative Labs Audigy or EMU10k1-based soundcard, or E-mu Systems APS soundcard can be used with these drivers. some card such as Audigy LS and Audigy 2 NX are not compatible, but the ZS, Platinum, etc.. are.

Give em a try...

D

dvfx

I have the same issues with static. Just bought the card yesterday to replace the onboard card that died. Anyone else have solutions or try the KX Project drivers?
I tried lowering sampling, muting all unused features (CD,Line In,etc.) no luck.

I'm using XP on older Shuttle XPC.

D

D

drkcrush

Audigy 2 Crackling Fixed

Alright, I have been suffering with Crackling/Popping on my Audigy 2 ZS for about 6 months. It started small, but grew more and more intense each day until finally we could no longer do anything audio wise with our pc.

So I read some of the other posts on this issue and tried a few things, nothing helped. Today I decided to start yanking everything that said Creative out of my Add/Remove programs and it worked.

There were 2 entries, from a recent driver update, called Creative Audio Console, and another called Creative DVD Audio Codec Plugin. When I uninstalled these 3 entries the crackling finally stopped, forever.

I was just about to go buy a new card figuring this one was dead, hope this helps.

alucard971

alucard971

My Fix to Crackling Audigy Card

I have been constantly having issues with my Audigy 2 ZS Gamer card for years ever since i bought the card in 2005 after Iraq. I did not have a noticeable problem with the card at first. Then came the crackling. I did not know what had caused it and had tried many things to get it to stop. After a fresh install of Windows XP, it worked again. No problems. Then my hard drive crashed. Fresh install of the same XP and it started back again louder. Long story short, I still have the same system (Minus the upgrade from ATI X800 AGP to Radeon 3850 AGP, a thermaltake passive 500W to a OCZ active 550W, and from 1GB Corsair RAM to 2GB OCZ Dual Channel, and to Windows Vista.) Guess What. The crackling was still there.

I began scouring the internet in hopes to find the issue of the problem because I don't have the money for an X-Fi right now. Come to find out, VIA and Sound Blaster aren't too compatible. There is too much noise through the PCI slot from the Sound Blaster. There were some unofficial patches here and there, but none of them worked for Vista. So I went to the VIA Arena Website and downloaded the new VIA Hyperion chipset drivers. *knock on wood* Worked like a charm. I'm about to load up World of Warcraft in a minute and surf the internet to see if there is any issues ( I usually get the noise while scrolling in Internet Explorer.)

Hope this helps anyone out there. It seems retarded, but we all seem to forget the little things.

M

macr

I had the exact same issue with my Audigy 2, I solved the issue by going into the Creative Audio console and switching my speaker/headphone selection to headphones.

In the creative audio console go to the "speakers" tab and then the dropdown box to headphones.

Heres a screenshot: http://imgur.com/TAPEC.jpg

Hope this helps some people!

narb

narb

Hi, what worked for me was to mute "Phone"(Not Microphone) in volume controls. You have to check it in properties for it to appear. not sure if this would work for people here, but it worked for me and I hope it helps atleast someone.

patsurfs

patsurfs

I was able to fix this problem by lowering the sample rate from 192,000hz to 96,000hz. The problem happened at both 16-bit and 24-bit depth in the 192,000hz sampling rate. Go to your soundcard properties in the control panel and under advanced properties you should be able to change the sampling rate to whatever works for you. You will instantly hear the crackling go away, i hope this works for you

X

xmrb2003x

What about radio interference and buzzing on the speakers? That drove me mad until I wrapped the wire around a ferrite ring.

patsurfs

patsurfs

re: xmrb2003x

In theory, you and I could have solved the same situation two different ways. By lowering the sampling rate frequency I could made it so electronics couldn't interefere with the higher freequencies above 96,000hz. At 192,000hz, there's a lot more potential for EMI causing sound problems because there is higher sensitivity in the signal receiver. Someone please correct me if I'm off base here

S

SwD

Got it to stop crackling. I opened up Creative's speaker settings ( C:\Program Files\Creative\SBAudigy2\Speaker Settings\SpkSet.exe ) and de-selected "Synchronize with Control Panel." Then I reinstalled the latest driver and restarted my computer. Static has not been heard (for a day so far).

Associates