[RESOLVED] Router shows "net access" with computer off...

Flash

Flash

I have a router with 4 LAN ports.
There are currently three computers and a bl-ray player connect to it and evething seems to be working properely.

However, with one computer (with on board LAN) the router's net traffic led for that port stays lit steady even with the computer off. Unpluging the ethernet cable to that sys makes the port's light go out.
With the compter on and known net activity to it, the port's led will blink normally but, will again shine steady when net action stops.

Al other systems/ports behave normally.

What can cause this?
A bad cable? I do not have another long enought yet to test this.
I did try conecting the sys and cable in queston to another LAN port on the router but had the exact same results.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Shinma

Shinma

It may be normal behaviour for that mobo/system in question.
Possibly its' WOL function?
e.g. For surge protectors, APC has a red LED that lights up only when there is an issue. Whereas the Belkin? brand has the red LED on when it's normal! I was pulling my hair out trying to find a non-existent ground fault with that %*#[email protected] Belkin!

Flash

Flash

WOL is the first thing I checked. It does not even have that option.
It's a fairly new, inexpensive Biostar MOBO that was designed to give new life to a legacy (P4) CPU and it's sort of bare bones as far as BIOS options.

I just shut the sys down, quickly ran to the router (in another room) and saw the light did go off briely as it shut down. Then, the light when on again when complely shut down.
So, you may be right about it just being "normal" for that MOBO.

Last edited:
U

ua549

OTOH the router may simply be showing that a valid cable is connected to the port.
Do the other ports act in a similar fashion when the computers are off?

Flash

Flash

OTOH the router may simply be showing that a valid cable is connected to the port.
Do the other ports act in a similar fashion when the computers are off?
No, the other computers do no act simular.
The router's defaut action is for a a port light only to be on when the computer/device in turned on, even when connected.

I do have another long ethernet cable comminig for another prupose and I wiil be able to see it the cable it causing this.

Last edited:
U

ua549

It could be a faulty led circuit for that port on the router.
What happens when you move the cable to another port? Does the problem move?

U

ua549

Did you move the cable and NOT the system? In other words use that cable on another system.

Flash

Flash

It's difficult to explain but it's impractical to connect another sys to the cable at this time do the way the cable is routed etc.

However, I did find out something that may explain the issue.
The MOBO's chipset does support WOL even thought there is no BIOS option for it.
Like I said, it's a somewhat unusual MOBO that sort of combines legacy with newer hardware with minimal nessary BIOS options..

U

ua549

That explains it. The link must be awake for the WOL to function.

You may be able to test this by disabling the NIC, but I can't recommend doing so if the connection is working.

Flash

Flash

Actually, I did try ty disabling the on board NIC (through device manager) and it had the same results.
I also tried disabling the WOL function through the NIC's (Realtek) properties.

BTW, The MOBO is Biostar's legacy "945GC-M4" and some have had various, serious problems with it throughout it's production run.
Fortunately, I have not had a a single problem with it except this.
I consider myself lucky.

Associates