[RESOLVED] Reducing Fan Noise in RackMount Enclosure Cabinet

A

alexBB

I purchased a RackMount Solution 6U Enlcosure Cabinet and turned the fan on. The nose is just unbearable. The box is next to my desk. I turned it off. I have a 2U W/S in it and so far the PC is cool. But in the summer it may be a different story. I want to reduce the noise by lowering the voltage on the fan. How can I do it? Are there any devices like transformers/regulators to reduce the power on the fan? There must be some contraptions.

I don't even know the technical terms how they are called to start googling for them

Any reply would be appreciated.

Thanks.

A

alexBB

Thank you Shinma. it is a bit overwhelming for simple man like me. What is the best one in your opinion and what is the cost?

As I said I have a 6U enclosure cabinet with a 2U server, or it actually a workstation, which so far has generated very little heat. it is sitting on rack rails positioned on the lowest possible level. there is about an inch space between the cabinet bottom and the unit and 4U space above it. The fan is in the back of the enclosure on teh top and it is huge, probably about 10 or 12 inches.

What shall I buy? Or to rephrase, what would you buy if you were in my shoes?

Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
Racks usually have a 110v fan instead of typical 12V case fans. If the rack fan has a separate cord, you could try using a lamp dimmer switch on it. You should be able to find those at Home Depot or Lowe's for pretty cheap.

A

alexBB

Midknyte, you are correct. It is a 110 volt fan. I plug it into the power outlet. It is a bright idea, actually I was thinking about something like this remembering high school physics days. There might be some heat/energy loss at the dimmer though, correct? Maybe not?

Thanks.

Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
Of course lowering the RPM of the fan will make it less effective. Lower RPM = lower CFM You'd have to sacrifice performance for quietness.

A

alexBB

Thank you. I just came back from a trip to Home Depot and Radio Shack. None of those had anything remotely resembling what I need. The dimmer switches are too fibble and they are to be mounted on a wall. I need somehing in a box where I can plug in my fan on one side and on the other side there should be a cable running to a power outlet in the wall. So, my fan is roaring and my search continues.

I am wondering if anyone might have more detailed experience with the business of noise reduction?

A

alexBB

Thank you Midknyte. I did not see such things at Home Depot. This seems to be exactly what I need. I am ordering it for sure.

A

alexBB

OK, I went to the Home Depot for the second time in two days and after some 10 min search they found it finally. Nobody knew what it was and where it was. Yesterday I told the girls at the entrance that I wanted a lamp dimmer switch, using the words you mentioned and they sent me to wall mounted dimmers and after I flustered around, talking to three people in various departments they could not find it. This morning I called the store and gave them the part number. Found it.

My wife recalls that when we went there six months ago buying a chandelear they offered us a more powerful one I liked but she did not because she does not like too much light and a sales person suggested this switch. Nobody knew where it was until one sharp woman said: I know. Follow me.

Well, I got it, had to drill a hole in the plug to accomodate the ground pin for the fan cable so it is at least fixed. It works quite well it seems. There is a small problem. The regulator is highly unlinear thus the useful range is about one tenths of the whole length of the slit where the plastic knob moves. It is hard to find the voltage that is good in terms of the air flow and noise reduction.

The bottom line of it is: I am in awe of Midknyte's encyclopedic knowledge of the useful and practical things in this universe but I still consider it a temporary solution. I would prefer a professional fan noise reduction device like the ones Shinma showed me at that website. Perhaps one day I set aside two hours to evaluate all reviews but they don't seem to be very practcal in a sense of answering pertinent questions. All they do is to rephrase the user manuals.

Thank you Midknyte.

A

alexBB

OK, I am settled. The dimmer switch works perfectly fine. I am used to it now. It is a bit difficult to find that position but not impossible. Actually it take sabout 10 second to locate the point. The noise is very much diminished and the box remains very cool. I am happy with the solution and won't seek anything beyond that. The issue is resolved.

Thank you Midknyte.

Associates