[RESOLVED] PS voltage Requirements

D

detailer

Hi all-new guy here looking for some general info I can't seem to find.
I'm looking at a couple modest cards for upgrade (not a gamer),and don't see minimum power supply voltage requirements from the vendors specs. or from ASUS.
I'm looking at EAH5450 Radeon HD 5450 1GB DDR3 or EAH5450 Radeon HD 5450 512MB DDR2
Why is this voltage spec. thing so secretive with ASUS? It's easily found with other manufactures.:confused:
Maybe I'm just not looking in the right place :eek: Any help much appreciated!

DanceMan

DanceMan

Procrastinating Member
Not sure those cards need a secondary power connection, beyond the power they get from the PCIe slot. And being bottom end cards (the kind I use) I don't think you need worry about adding much to your psu requirements. That might explain why you can't find power requirements specs -- not needed.

D

detailer

PS voltage Requirements

Oops-yes I did mean wattage :eek::eek: It was late for the old guy here.
I thought most cards that drew from the PCI slot only, would get by on the stock 220-250 PS,but saw a couple requiring 300 watts-hence the concern.
Midknyte,your link demonstrates how other manufacturers provide this info.The question would be,does that translate to the ASUS made 5450?
I've never purchased an ASUS card.Always stuck with ATI (now AMD,correct?)
Also,very bad luck with Nvidia-at least the lower end that I use.
Thanks to all for the quick replies and links. Cheers!

Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
Asus doesn't make the chipset. AMD/ATI sets the specs unless Asus were to modify it by overclocking, etc.

When you buy lower end cards, you get what you get.

D

detailer

Understood

thanks again to everyone-no need to beat this horse any further on my account
asked and answered
Cheers!!

DanceMan

DanceMan

Procrastinating Member
Typical power: 19.1Watts
400 Watt or greater power supply recommended
I would suggest that "400 watt" recommendation is a cover your *** codicil, designed to cover an absolute worst case scenario, even with an alleged "400 watt" generic psu. I would have confidence in using any credible 300 watt psu, and if I knew the complete system specs, even a 250 watt if there were no heavy loads on the rest of the system.

Associates